1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about separating 2 chickens that have become buddies.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Renee572, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    I incubated some eggs back in December of which only 1 chick hatched from. Since it was the only one and I wanted it to have a buddy we bought one from the feed store that was a week older. Then I hatched some more chicks in January and have 4 of them. The 6 share a coop together but it has a sort of hidey hole for the smaller chicks to get away from the 2 bigs and they generally don't hang out together, they stay in their separate corners.

Anyway one of the older chicks who is now 12 weeks old started crowing yesterday. I can't keep roosters so I will be selling him. Him and the 13 week old rir have become real good buddies and I am afraid she will have a hard time adjusting to him being gone.

Do you think she will just make friends with the 4 smaller chicks or will she continue to keep her distance from them? I am having a hard time with this as I really hoped he wasn't a rooster since he was the first chick I ever hatched. :( any insight anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    It will Cause problems with loneliness,but sooner or later,she will adjust.She may keep her distance for a while.

3. Renee572

Renee572 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2014
    thanks for the response. I sure hope she doesn't get lonely for too long and I hope she becomes friends with the other chicks. I feel bad for her but I really can't keep a rooster. :(

4. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Good luck though.She will likely do fine,and I'm sure he will do fine where evr ge goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by