Questions about showing-bad roo and leg bands??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by IamTheChickenWhisperer, Jan 12, 2011.

1. IamTheChickenWhisperer

IamTheChickenWhisperer Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    Ive had raised bought sold etc. chickens for years but the only thing Ive ever shown were waterfowl. Im taking the big leap...not having a CLUE what Im doing and have entered some chickens in the fair...mostly for exp.
    First Question-Where are YOU getting your leg bands, bandettes...what is your preferrance for your show birds and where do you buy them (ad links please of your fav. places)
    Second Question-All that Im taking to show are in cages and doing great with it....except one BAD A** Roo that likes to see if he can draw blood when I go to feed or water him. Im trying to spend some time every day using a STICK with a GLOVE to get him used to being confronted by the HUMAN HAND (not my own anymore till the cuts heal, LOL). He is a LOVELY bird and has a ROTTEN attitude. Do I need to worry horribly about this EVIL behavior...or just leave him at home???

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I get the plastic numbered bandettes from Cutler Supply. I would leave the jerk wad roo at home. It's really not cool to put a judge into a situation like that. Not to mention all the kids at fairs that stick their fingers into cages!

3. Jacklynn

Jacklynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree, if a bird decided to chomp down on my kids finger, I wouldn't be pleased. I'm not a parent, but I don't think any parent would be very happy about this.

Yes, people and children will stick their fingers in, children will be children though.

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'll give you a judge's point of view. Attitude plays no role in judging chickens. In fact I like to see some aggression when judging Large Fowl Old English Games. In my bag, along with my Standard, judging stick & extra pens I always carry a couple of band aids. Obviously I can't speak for all judges but for me this is a non-issue. In the course of getting my license I clerked with a number of different judges & they all felt the same way about aggressive males.

ETA: Kids fingers don't belong in the cages. Parents need to controll their children's behavior.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  5. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I got my bands from McMurray Hatchery I believe(the numbered ones) and have aquired more from vendors at shows.
    As far as jackwagon roo-take him and show him. Take some cardboard to put between his cage and the surrounding ones so he can't get to his neighbors.
    I feel confident a judge expects to be bitten/spurred on occasion-it comes with the territory, like NYReds said.
    Oh and what NYReds just added about kids' fingers in cages-agree 100%-I had to have a small discussion this past weekend with a renegade bunch that thought disturbing my ducks poking at them in their cages was a fun thing to do. I changed their minds. [​IMG]

6. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    I'll give you a judge's point of view. Attitude plays no role in judging chickens. In fact I like to see some aggression when judging Large Fowl Old English Games. In my bag, along with my Standard, judging stick & extra pens I always carry a couple of band aids. Obviously I can't speak for all judges but for me this is a non-issue. In the course of getting my license I clerked with a number of different judges & they all felt the same way about aggressive males.

ETA: Kids fingers don't belong in the cages. Parents need to controll their children's behavior.

Thank You for your post and the post below yours...Ive never shown chickens b4 FEEL soooo much better taking him now. He is who he is and he is lovely, just has a true rooster heart, (and I like his spunk, makes him look prettier IMHO tho I have to psych my self up to feed him and one other at feeding time... LOL pretty to look at but.....hehe OUCH you *#$&*^@*). GOOD IDEA about the cardbord too!! Didnt know I could do that. PHEW. And I wont push him so hard about BEING NICE. I agree...kids hands DO NOT belong in cages at a poultry or rabbit or any show and that is up to the parents to control. If they get bit or scratched-lesson learned. The only person I was worried about would be the judge. On top of that...tho all birds are screened, well Im sorry, I dont want some touch it all n picking his nose kiddy touching everyone elses birds andthen touching mine or visa versa. TAKE THEM TO THE PETTING ZOO, its CALLED THAT FOR A REASON [​IMG]....lol. Ive tossed kids with their parents in tow out of my gate from wadering around my farm without permission or for running at or screaming at any of my critters, from horses to chickens. I just had a kid climb in one of my brooder pens the other day and step on and KILL a baby chick. Well needless to say my normally normal prices got a little high. [​IMG]

Thank You for the leg band info....I hope they ship quickly! [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. IamTheChickenWhisperer

Jan 2, 2011
    Plant City, FL
    PS does it matter which LEG?? Is there a standard out there for how to band them??

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Just one more piece of advice(not that you asked for this one).
    I raise/breed Black Sumatras-in my opinion, they can be some of the nastiest tempered birds to deal with-pretty unpredictable, too.
    I show them NO FEAR. I absolutely don't mind being in a closed in confined space with them-and they know it.
    I'm sure you're aware of this due to the breed that you must raise with it being so aggressive, but with me and those gamey Sumatras, they know the rules, don't come at me, I'm bigger, I'm not afraid-they lose, game over-and it is, honestly. Once they know they can't intimidate you, your not as much fun to harass anymore. [​IMG]
    I don't know if it matters which leg, honestly, I always band them on the right.

9. littlestars17

littlestars17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I take my kiddos with me to many bird shows and they all know some birds bite- I try to keep their fingers out but every once in a while they cant resist the urge to stroke a pretty bird- I remind them some do bite but they are children..and they share my passion. With that said if he is super ornery I would certainly still show him, But along the side of that cardboard you put in the crate to keep him from hurting his neighbor birds you can always write in big black sharpie- DO NOT stick fingers in cage-or as my son once did for our birds- WE THINK FINGERS ARE FRENCH FRIES..even thought my birds arent always nice I try to give a heads up if I know I have a spirited bird..But thats the Mom in me hehe

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    "WE think fingers are French fries." is a very good way to put it - no nasty threats just honesty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by