Questions about showing chickens...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by blaundee, Jul 22, 2010.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Do the chickens need to be named/numbered/etc?

Do they need to have ID tags or something?

Is there any way to register chickens, and do they need to be registered to be shown?

Do they need health certificates/etc?

(I come from showing dairy goats and horses LOL Everything is named and registered, must have papers of some sort)

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:The best thing to really get a grasp on what goes on at a show is to attend a couple first and talk to the folks there who are judges and exhibitors. Make some connections, learn some tricks, and find out what the judge looks for in your particular breed. It is always a good idea to have some kind of ID on your chicken - we use the colored, numbered leg bands. This just prevents exhibitors from confusing birds. Chickens are not registered like other livestock or pets. However, before you will be allowed to show, you will need the testers at the show to do a blood test on your birds. If you are currently NPIP, you don't have to worry about the blood testing at the show. You will be asked to fill out an entry form (mailed/emailed to you before the show) and sign a heath declaration form stating you have had the birds in your possession for at least 30 days, that they are healthy, etc., etc.

The most important thing is to know the breed you are showing. Make sure they are in good show condition (clean, parasite-free) and are accustomed to being in a small coop. I have seen some judges skip over birds that were overly aggressive or overly scared at shows. As for conditioning, points are counted off, but I haven't seen one disqualified for poor condition.

3. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Quote:My DS shows chickens in Arizona and the following info is based on that:

When showing chickens, they do not need to be named, but they need to have numbered leg bands.

Chickens do not need to be registered.

In Arizona, chickens do not have to have any health certificates to be shown, but in other parts of the country they do. In Arizona, they just need to be disease and pest free.

Hope this helps!

Angie

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
  5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Quote:It depends on where your showing them, some may need ID tags, some don't.

Yes, they NEED to be registered by the deadline. The NYS Fair Deadline already passed, and im already registered.

For NYS you need to get your chicken blood tested for Pullorum Typhoid disease. If you google it for your state you should be able to find a phone number.

6. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:The best thing to really get a grasp on what goes on at a show is to attend a couple first and talk to the folks there who are judges and exhibitors. Make some connections, learn some tricks, and find out what the judge looks for in your particular breed. It is always a good idea to have some kind of ID on your chicken - we use the colored, numbered leg bands. This just prevents exhibitors from confusing birds. Chickens are not registered like other livestock or pets. However, before you will be allowed to show, you will need the testers at the show to do a blood test on your birds. If you are currently NPIP, you don't have to worry about the blood testing at the show. You will be asked to fill out an entry form (mailed/emailed to you before the show) and sign a heath declaration form stating you have had the birds in your possession for at least 30 days, that they are healthy, etc., etc.

The most important thing is to know the breed you are showing. Make sure they are in good show condition (clean, parasite-free) and are accustomed to being in a small coop. I have seen some judges skip over birds that were overly aggressive or overly scared at shows. As for conditioning, points are counted off, but I haven't seen one disqualified for poor condition.

So they just take your word for it that your birds are healthy?

Do y'all take any measures to prevent your birds from contracting something at a show? (for instance, at goat/horse shows, we get extra stalls to put space between ours and other ppls animals, and bleach the stalls before the animals are put in them, do not let the animals drink from a community trough, etc)

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Most of the western states do not require testing or health certificates.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona

So they just take your word for it that your birds are healthy?

Do y'all take any measures to prevent your birds from contracting something at a show? (for instance, at goat/horse shows, we get extra stalls to put space between ours and other ppls animals, and bleach the stalls before the animals are put in them, do not let the animals drink from a community trough, etc)

Yes. The show rules usually state that birds must be healthy, and cannot originate from an area under quarantine. Also that any birds showing signs of infection or infestation (bugs, worms) must be removed immediately. Many people spray the cage with oxine before putting their birds in. I will say that the Farmington NM Show is one of the absolutely cleanest I have ever seen. Many people take their own cage cups raher than using ones provided by the shows; in cases where the show is using used tin cans, that seems wise, but many shows use fresh new cups at each show. Cannot get extra cages surrounding your birds, but you can request a double coop for extra space.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Which shows are you considering, Blaundee?

10. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Farmington is one of the best shows I have seen, but if you go, be prepared for some stiff competition!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by