Questions about Silkie Bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mylied, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I really want to get into bantams and think Silkies are just what I'm looking for, but I had a few questions. First, will they do okay in the south in the summer? Any special considerations? Second, do I need to separate out the broody hens/new chicks from the other hens like with a full sized chicken or can they all be together? I would plan on keeping a few hens with a rooster and let them raise up some chicks whenever they want. I plan on selling the chicks and/or young chickens. I'm also planning on building them a separate coop away from my full sized hens. Would they all be able to roam the yard together (about 1 1/2 acre or so) or should I make a run for the bantams?

Thanks for the help!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello,

I will just share my personal experience. I had a coop for banties, and also a coop for large fowl. I did have a run both coops. I would let them free range alternately because the larger birds were obsessed with the smaller ones, and the minute I let them both out together, the big hens would run over and eat the bantam food and drink their water. And the bantam rooster was hounded by the large fowl too.

I think they might be fine if they're raised together though. A friend of mine raised a silkie with her large fowl hens and, since they were with eachother as chicks, all was well.

3. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I'm building them a seperate area from my big girls. I know my hens won't be nice to newcomers. I'm just going to make them an enclosed run for now and see how they do.

I ordered from rainbow hatchery and they should be here in the next week or two. I've never ordered online before and I hope they all arrive safe and sound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by