Questions about silkie hen ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kbreak, Mar 5, 2012.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    I have a partridge silkie hen about 8-9 months old. I kept her but sold the rooster and 1 hen. The next day she layed. My question is how long will she possibly have fertile eggs? How often do most silkies lay? Once a day/ every other day? I took her egg out and put 2 other eggs in there hoping she will start sitting. Is she young? should I put the egg under my BCM broody hen ?

Thanks for any advice!!

2. wait, so you sold the rooster but want fertile eggs..?

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    The eggs won't be fertile unless the rooster mated with her. BUT if you sold him with in the last week or so then there could be a chance of fertility. Hens store the sperm of the rooster for 2-3 weeks.

4. X2

5. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Yeah !! Kinda lost my mind. When I tried to put my younger silkies (4 months) with the bigger rooster I was afraid he was gonna hurt them. So now I gotta wait out my silkies to mature.[​IMG]

You think this is a rooster??
    I need help figuring out what I have?

6. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    This was the partridge rooster[​IMG]

7. kbreak

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Yes he was mating the all the time. Actually mated her when we where taking him and the other hen out. So I gonna keep my fingers crossed. Since she is young should I put the eggs under another broody or should I just incubate?

8. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Silkies are very hard to sex...especially for me since I'm an Ameraucana person by trade LOL! I would wait another couple of months on those young Silkies just to make sure. Its up to you how you incubate them. If you have broody ready for them go for it! If not, I would get them all collected, in an egg carton pointy end down, and keep them in the same room as the incubator for 24 hours to get to room temperature. Be sure you have your incubator ready and pop 'em in. In 3 ish weeks you could have you some baby silkies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by