1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions about splinting turkeys legs.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkeys, Feb 16, 2013.

1. turkeys

turkeys New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    hi everyone,
    Thanks for your help on my last post i have splinted my 2 turkeys feet.I started at mid afternoon yesterday. Today i have taken the tape of for an hour or so and i was wondering how many days i should leave it on for, will it work and when i will start to see it all coming together. also our 2 turkeys are 4 days and 6 days old now.
    Your information is appreciated.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Taping or splinting? What are you using?

3. turkeys

turkeys New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    we are using duck tape each side of its foot to hold the toes in place[​IMG] it looks kind of like a shoe.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    O.K. in the next few days carefully remove the duct tape and replace with some `breathable' semi-transparent surgical tape (most pharmacies carry it). Not as `binding' (sticky) allows toes to grow normally and you can see the toes to check for proper positioning and don't have to worry about `pulling' toes when removing/replacing tape. 5-7 days treatment and then remove and check for both position/function (curling toes around your finger for instance). if position or function is limited, try the tape shoes for another week. feet will be growing fast, main thing is to prevent the curling from being `grown into'.

Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  5. turkeys

turkeys New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    thanks very much![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by