Questions about switching over to layer feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pkforever, Jul 2, 2010.

1. pkforever

pkforever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    So I have two questions, first off a little background I have 4 pullets, A Buff Orp 14 weeks, Easter Egger 11 weeks, a GLW 10 weeks and a White crested Black polish at 5 weeks(currently seperated) But I was wondering....

Is it okay to feed them layer feed now? and if not why?

Also what is the difference between the layer crumbles and layer pellets (besides the obvious)

Thank you!!!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Do NOT feed your flock of mixed age birds layer feed! The calcium in the feed is BAD for growing chickens, and you won't notice the problem for some time. You shouldn't feed layer feed to chickens who aren't at least at "point of lay" - between 18 and 24 weeks old. It is best to wait until they begin to lay.

Because you have a flock of mixed ages, you should feed them the equivalent of Purina's FlockRaiser, or Nutrena grower/finisher. Then have oyster shell available as free choice; the birds which need it will take it, while the others will not.

There is effectively no difference in ingredients between crumbles and pellets of any feed product. It's just how it's formulated to hold the shape.

3. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yes layer feed's given to NON laying bird's can actualy cause internal bleeding.Especialy in young bird's or chick's.Poor DH done almost a whole brooder of month old's in once when I wasn't able to feed and he didn't know really He thought feed was feed minus the whole corn and chick starter.I would wait unitl you start getting egg's from them then you can add some in.The last couple of year's I never even really added any layer feed much but I was free ranging a lot also and they got the natural bug's and worm's then also.I will probably supplement the Layer stock We bought this year a little with a little layer and oyster shell once they begin laying.They do have a run but they clean it quickly.Crumbles are the same pretty much as pellet's.I will get pellet for mine as they are Large bird's.Crumbles will be easier to digest for smaller breed's.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I keep my chickens on starter/grower until about 17-18 weeks of age..then switch them over to laying pellets.

the only difference is (like was said earlier) formulation of shape..I feed the pellets because I have found WAY LESS loss by using pellets vs.the crumbles..

5. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    So I've been hearing that it is bad to feed laying hens flock raiser is this true?
    Mine aren't laying yet but if I can feed all my chickens I have flock raiser it'd be cheaper for me instead of buying more feed then needed.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You can feed your laying hens flock raiser or any other similar, all-purpose, grower/finisher feed. Just provide crushed oyster shell free choice.

That's what I do with my flock. I get great eggs, nice hard shells. PLUS, two more pullets just started laying yesterday and today.

7. pkforever

Mar 8, 2010
    Oregon
    Thank you!! Thats what I thought but I've heard so many different things, I wasn't suire

8. daddysgirlz

daddysgirlz Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    M, WI
    OMG....I just got my first birds in early may and they were hatched mid feb of this year....when I went to the feed store and told them they were 10-12 weeks old they gave me layer feed and that is what I have been feeding them since....!!!! I now have them as of early this week on starter feed which I was told should be good until they start laying...What are the consequences going to be if any, of having them on the layer crumbles to early??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by