Questions about temperature

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Desirai, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Desirai

Desirai Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    OK.. I'm in the process of building my coop. I'm going to be having about 10 chickens.

I'm going to be keeping them in our sunroom.

It has no air or heating, so I'm going to have a heat lamp for them.

However, the temps will fluctuate. I live in AL, so our day temps are going to be fluctuating between 55 and 75 degrees til about May.

Our night temps are still low, fluctuating between 25 and 45. Will start to warm up in April.

I keep reading that chicks have to be kept at 100 degrees, then 95 degrees, then 90, so on and so forth..

How do I do this with fluctuating temperatures? Our sunroom's temperature always varies 2 to 4 degrees.

I want to make sure I do this right.. I've never had chickens.

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    I just vary the height of the heat lamp over the brooder. If you need hotter lower the lamp, if you need cooler raise the lamp. The other thing I've done is mounted the lamp off of a work bench and then raised or lowered the brooder using blocks of wood. It's helpful to have a small thermometer in the brooder so you can watch temps.

3. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    where should I put the thermometer? directly below the lamp? close to the bottom or close to the top?

4. mikecnorthwest

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Put it at chick level. I usually just put a small block of wood on top of the bedding and put the thermometer on that. It doesn't need to be directly under the lamp, just within the where the heat is. Also don't get too wrapped up in watching the temps, use it just to prevent going to the extremes of high and low temps. If your chicks are staying at the opposite end of the brooder then it's too hot, if they're huddling under the lamp they might be a little cool.

5. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    k another question... do I need a special type of lamp and bulb such as one you use for reptiles?

or could I use, say.. a bendy desk lamp anchored outside of one edge and adjust its neck accordingly, with a 60watt bulb? (or 100 or whatever?)

6. mikecnorthwest

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    You want an infrared heat lamp in a reflector. Here's link to the heat lamp at Mypetchicken.com and on the same page they list the reflector.

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/chickens/Infrared-Heat-Lamp-Bulb-White-Energy-Saver-p967.aspx

Or, you can buy a Brinsea Ecoglow heating unit and forget the heat lamp completely. Not sure if you could find it locally though. You'd probably have to order it online. The heat lamp and reflector is inexpensive and any farm supply/feed store should have them in stock.

http://www.amazon.com/Avianweb-EcoGlow-20-Chick-Brooder/dp/B0051ZG3R8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_1

7. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    i always used a drop light with a 60 watt bulb in it to keep the chicks warm.an i never had cold chicks doing that.

8. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    How much heat you will need will vary depending upon many factors. Thing such as the size of the brooder, the type of material it is made of, etc will influence it. A brooder in a sunroom is going to be a challange to keep the temperature steady. I setup my brooder in the garage (it is insulated and built into the house) where the temperature is pretty consistent.

9. Desirai

Oct 12, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote: The chicks won't get burned by it?? I'd be worried their little heads would get burned

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by