Questions about the LG...temp problem...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chubbydog811, Feb 22, 2009.

1. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have an LG 9200 with turner. I'm having a horrible time keeping the temperature consistant. I've had to adjust it at least 3 times a day - I didnt have this problem the last time I had it going. It is usually very consistant, and I only had to adjust the temp every 4 days, if that...

One hour it will be at 99.5*. I check later and it is at 101 and then some, so I re-adjust it. Then it will get too low, and keep dropping(even after turning it up)! even though the red light is on...I barely even turn the knob and it will be a very drastic change.

The room temp has been at a consistant 60* for the past 2 weeks. - I do have 26 eggs in it now. That's why I'm almost panicing. At one point today, I was saying some pretty words at it, and threatening a new incubator because it got up to 102.5*, then dropped to 95*. I finally have gotten it to stay in the 99* after fighting with it for 3 hours...

Any idea why it might be doing this, when it was fine before? Is it the thermostat going?

Also, any info about the genesis 1588? I was actually going to get one this week anyway, and turn the LG into a hatcher (if it keeps working enough) or take the parts and make a new one...But I want to be sure before I get it...

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    I just purchased a LG 9200 still air and I had the same problem. I had it on with no eggs for about two days and finally got it where it would hold its temp about right. DARED anyone to touch it,...I have had eggs in it for about a week and a half and it is doing good. I have had to adjust the temp by just a little when it is cooler. The temp control is VERY sensitive. For the money though, not too bad. Good luck with your hatch! Wish I could be more help. [​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    The problem with any LG is the temp control knob, if you find something larger to serve as a knob, such as a checker, or a wooden dresser or drawer pull, and adapt it to fit. the bigger knob enables you to turn very minute increments thus controling your temps and your temper LOL better.

AL

4. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thanks for the reply. I did forget to add, that it has a fan...

I never had a problem with it - I knew how sensitive it was...I figured out the science to turning that misreble little knob and everything [​IMG]

Its just so frustrating that it keeps swinging so much!

5. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I learned to let mine swing. I have I think a 2F swing. So far, I have about 20 eggs out of 35 that are looking good, but the others were clear (well, 5 of those are still in there, I simply can't see through them). I think it's easier to just let it swing a little bit than to mess with it constantly. Either way, you're going to end up with temp swings, at least if you let it go, it's not as bad and you don't get as stressed out about it.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I have one that has a dimmer knob on it, and I have a harder time adjusting that one than I do the other that doesn't have a knob on it.

7. chubbydog811

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    The problem with when it swings, is it either keeps going higher or lower (doesnt stop). I would leave it, but when it swings it doesnt fix itself.

Does anyone have any info about the genesis 1588? Im looking to get one, but I cant seem to find the info I want - like how do you adjust the preset temp if it isnt accurate? And is there anything I should know about them? Any specifics that might change my mind about getting one?

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I don't have the 1588, I have the 1583, which is the wafer thermo version. I would highly recommend getting a hovabator. I liked my LG all right, but I absolutely LOVE my hovabator!! The temp literally does not move unless the water gets a bit low! I know you can adjust the temp in the 1588, but I'm not sure how. I do know that you shouldn't have to adjust it.

9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:This seems to be quite common, folks changing models from the LG to the Genisis, for the same reasons you mention, some folks like their LG's but would not buy another if given the chance. Trash it and get something better.

AL

10. justpete

justpete Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Southern NH
    Your room temp may be too cool. Check the instruction manual. I thought I read that under 65* could be a problem for the unit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by