1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about the outdoor pen size...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4H kids and mom, Apr 13, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Ok, I've redone the chicks pen that is attached to the coop. It measures 25.5' L by 14' W and 6' T. I think the square footage would be roughly 325 sq ft, right? Just counting the length and width? And then the coop is 12.5' L by 10' W and 8' T. So, what then is my TOTAL square footage with pen and coop? And here are my other questions:

1. How many chickens can graze comfortably in that space and for how long? Keep in mind that I plan to add several roosts, too. I need to get an idea of what my finished flock size can be, because I've got the fever! lol [​IMG]

2. Can they use it permenantly (I cant really move it as its attached to the coop) if I let them range the yard a few times a week when we can be outside with them?

3. Kinda off topic, but was wondering if they will need a feeder and waterer in the pen as well if the door to the coop is open for them to go back in if they need it? At this age now, when I let them out they run around and munch on grass and stuff and when they get chilled or thirsty they just go back into the coop. If they do that now, will they continue to, or do I really need outside stuff too?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

ok, let me see....if your coop...is roughly 350 sg ft...divided by 4, you can have 80 hens?? WOW!!!!

Yard is 120 sq ft....divided by 4....30?? So, I would say...30 chickens would be comfortable...but, there will be NO grass, in no time.
    My hens have a yard....about 50 x 30...there are 13 chickens, and NO GRASS! LOL

As far as outside commodities....I leave water outside for them...no food because the wild birds will eat it. And altho I love my wild birds as well...I dont want to encourage them to visit the feeders, for disease reasons. Mine have a small kiddie pool...I only keep about 4 inches or so of water in there. They love to wade in it on a hot day. I know...chickens dont like water...mine do!

Hope this helps.

3. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I hate math! I get so flustered.....I thought square footage was length times width...is that not right? I'm trying to remember, but drawing a blank! So then a coop 12.5' L by 10' W would be 125 sq. ft? Then if we add that to the runs sq. footage (25.5' L by 14' W) of 357 would that mean I have 482 sq ft total?

I don't plan to have a huge flock, just enough to meet our egg orders lol [​IMG] Maybe around 20...ish. I just wanted to get a feel for the actual amount of room they'll have when alls said and done.

Edit: Oh I see what you did....you got the coop and run reversed lol [​IMG] Its all good tho! I got the idea! Thanks! [​IMG] I was pretty close to right!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Don't worry about the total sq. footage, the sq. ft of the coop is what is important. Actually the footage of the roost area, i do my best to have 2 foot of perch space for each chicken. You can go from there to figute out how many chickens you want. Over do it and you will have a problem.
    Yes you did feed and water in the coop. You can check the learning center, it can tell it better than I can.

5. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    But, do I really only count coop space if they are ranging ALL DAY in the pen? And if I went by the 2' roost per bird, I don't have enough lumber for that! lol [​IMG] They have two 8' long roosts in the coop right now. I have also made a 'ladder' roost for the pen. Its four rungs high and each rung is 8' long. (I used 2x4s cuz I'm lazy...lol)

So, being sneaky, if I went with your 2' of roost per bird, TECHNICALLY I could have only 24 chickens total? Hmm...thought I'd a bit more room than that to play with... I dont want them crowded, but I DO want as many as can COMFORTABLY live in the area I have for them. The demand for home grown eggs here is ENORMOUS and people are willing to pay big bucks for them! I sorta wanna tap into that a bit...call me old school [​IMG]

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

My understanding was 10 inches to 1 ft of roost per bird. Maybe I am wrong? I need to get out there, on a nice day....IF we have any....and redo my coop. I am adding 24 more birds...and NEED ROOSTS! LOL
    At least another 24 ft...UGH...what was I thinking??? LOL

7. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    So...at a foot of roost per bird, technically speaking I could house 48 birds if the pen is included in the space but only 16 birds if we count only the coop as space?

Does the pen count in their total amount of room? I was under the assumption that it did. Am I wrong?

I planned to add a few more pullets to the ones we have now. As of now (in terms of the birds we are KEEPING out of our 27, we have 3 roos and 14 pullets. One roo will be housed in a breeder pen with one of the pullets- when they are old enough of course!)

So, do I have room to add, say 8 more pullets? I had hoped to add 4 Cuckoo Marans and 4 of a white egg layer breed to meet the demand for eggs in my area. I was hoping for an even flock size of 25 birds (that would be 2 Ameraucana roos, 1 EE roo, 10 Ameraucana pullets, 4 EE pullets, 4 Maran pullets, and 4 pullets of another breed). Or is my space too small to add a few more? [​IMG] <<fingers & toes crossed>>

8. kingsdaughter

kingsdaughter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2007
    California
    Hi 4H Kids and Mom,

Wow, I just noticed you are in SE WI. Hi neighbor! Im in Waukesha County.

My coop is going to be 10 X 12 and I plan on having about 30 birds in there. My chicks arive on Monday! Woo Hooo I ordered 25 plus the mystery chick, and Im getting 4 Guineas from the feed store in Merton the following week.

I havent finalized my run plans as of yet, but I plan on making it spacious, since Im hoping for three roos.

Are you really 4H people? I have been trying to contact someone from 4H because Im looking for Khaki Campbell Ducks. I emailed someone , but they havent responded. I only want about 4, to keep dandilions under control , (well also for pets, but the dandilion thing helps my husband find them appealing) since I plan on having the chickens free range most of the time, so no more weed killer.

From what Ive read it should be enough space for your flock, or proposed flock

9. 4H kids and mom

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Yes, we really are 4h people...lol [​IMG] This is our first year. My kids are both Cloverbuds, and I am the poultry leader for our extention because our group didnt have one...lol [​IMG]

I will ask around in our group and see if I can find someone with the ducks you are seeking. [​IMG] We have someone now that even breeds the mini cows, so I might be able to find 'em for ya!

I guess I'm lucky there. We just dont get dandelions 'round here. [​IMG] lol

I'm conected with two different 4h group that meet in our twon, plus we are very near another one. We have our Clinton 4h that we attend. Then there's the Bradford 4h and Turtle 4h isnt far away. I drive to Waukesha every other weekend with our kids to visit hub's folks, so I know your area pretty well! [​IMG] Nice to not only meet another Wisconsin-er, but one so close! Howdy Cheesehead! lol [​IMG]

10. montverdechick

montverdechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Central Florida
    We're keeping the water and food in the run once they have all day access to that area. We got a cover for the hanging feeder to keep rain out. Don't think the wild birds can fit through the chicken wire, so that should be ok. I'll probably keep water inside as well.

Your run sounds great. Wish I could have more chickens...but 12 is a good number to start.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by