questions about the term "broody"

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ticks, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I have been reding about people who want to get rid of a broody hen. Why will she get broody when will she get broody and how long do they stay broody? I thought it was a multi weeek thiing, but I read and it seems longer

2. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

well it sometimes depends on the breed. they go broody because they want to hatch the eggs. they usually will go broody for a few weeks .. long enough to hatch duck and goose eggs. and they usualy get broody when they are in a good laying season. i have my first broody ever right now. sitting on 3 eggs [​IMG]

3. FLchook

FLchook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Yup..all depends on the breed. Some will never to rarely go broody...others, such as silkies and cochins tend to go broody frequently, and at any time of the year. (Well that could just be cause I live in FL, our winters are never that dangerous.)

4. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Why will she get broody when will she get broody and how long do they stay broody? I thought it was a multi weeek thiing, but I read and it seems longer

She will get broody when her hormones kick into high gear and stop her laying cycle and start her brooding cycle. A normal brooding cycle lasts the three weeks (chicken) that it takes to hatch the eggs + the six to eight weeks it takes to brood the chicks. Things can interrupt or shorten the cycle, though, such as being broken up or failing to hatch any chicks.​

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. BrambleCreekFarm

BrambleCreekFarm Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    Concord GA
    Quote:She will get broody when her hormones kick into high gear and stop her laying cycle and start her brooding cycle. A normal brooding cycle lasts the three weeks (chicken) that it takes to hatch the eggs + the six to eight weeks it takes to brood the chicks. Things can interrupt or shorten the cycle, though, such as being broken up or failing to hatch any chicks.

if going broody stops her laying cycle how does she lay enough eggs to hatch since they only lay 1 a day or every other day? also had another question about broody hens - will a broody hen eat her own eggs?

6. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    A hen isn't truly broody until she stops laying and stays on the nest 24 hours, seven days a week. As long as she's laying, she'll usually roost as usual. Once she's really broody, she'll stop laying.

Sometimes a broody will eat her own eggs. Sometimes a broody will kill her newly hatched chicks. But most of them won't do either of these things and are good mothers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by