Questions about treating chicken for Coryza

oliviaandjosh4

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
So I think one of my chickens has Coryza after reading some of the posts on here about it. Both sides of its face are swollen to where its eyes are closed and yellow stuff is leaking from its eyes and nose. Also it has just been acting like it is about to die. I seperated it from the other chickens and looked on here for what to do about treatment. I bought some Tylan 50, a 3cc luer slip syringe, and a 20G x 1/2" needle. First, are these the right size for syringe and needles? Second, how much of the Tylan 50 should I give and how often? And how long should I keep it seperated from the other chickens? When should I see improvement? Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!

So I think one of my chickens has Coryza after reading some of the posts on here about it. Both sides of its face are swollen to where its eyes are closed and yellow stuff is leaking from its eyes and nose. Also it has just been acting like it is about to die. I seperated it from the other chickens and looked on here for what to do about treatment. I bought some Tylan 50, a 3cc luer slip syringe, and a 20G x 1/2" needle. First, are these the right size for syringe and needles? Second, how much of the Tylan 50 should I give and how often? And how long should I keep it seperated from the other chickens? When should I see improvement? Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!
http://ultimatefowl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tylan
IF it is coryza, you'll need to dose her with sulmet in conjunction with tylan injections.
I recommend that you cull the sick bird immediately.

Okay what is sulmet? And what is your reason for saying cull? Not trying to sound rude just curious as to why you would suggest that. Is it too hard to cure or?

If Tylan and Sulmet don't work, try Baytril.

http://www.animalhealth.bayer.com/5207.0.html
"In a clinical study (Will B., 1986), drinking water medication with Baytril
00ae.png
10% oral solution was shown to be very efficacious against Infectious Coryza with rapid reduction of morbidity and full microbiological clearancefrom the infectious agent, Haemophilus paragallinarum, at the end of medication."

Baytril sources:

Read this before using Baytril:

The dose I use is 0.09ml per pound orally once a day for no more than five days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice but we wound up culling her. She just looked too awful. Pus was coming out of everywhere, her mouth was just hanging open. I didn't want to risk the others getting sick eventually if she was a carrier. I didn't get to take a picture because it was hard to even look at her but if you google coryza it's exactly what she looked like.

Thanks for all the advice but we wound up culling her. She just looked too awful. Pus was coming out of everywhere, her mouth was just hanging open. I didn't want to risk the others getting sick eventually if she was a carrier. I didn't get to take a picture because it was hard to even look at her but if you google coryza it's exactly what she looked like.

You did the right thing by culling her. You're correct, she wouldve been a carrier of the disease and the coryza wouldve eventually spread through your flock. Now you know why I recommeded culling her.

Sorry for your loss. Coryza is something that I would cull for as well. It's a terrible disease that they never get over, and can cause a lot of suffering.

Back
Top Bottom