Questions about treats and left over bags of chick feed - help!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by EggheadsRus, Jun 26, 2011.

1. EggheadsRus

EggheadsRus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Adult chickens:

1. I have 14 soon-to-be 2 yr old Australorp hens and a roo. If I put out a foragecake how may should I put out and how often? Would I need to put it in a holder or would it be alright to just lay them on the ground (dirt flooring in their run). Or should I just chip off portions and toss it to them every few days? I think my hens are totally bored as they tend to pick at each other and I want to make them happy layers [​IMG]

2. I feed them layer pellets, have dish out with oyster shell and toss scratch to them (which sometimes they won't eat) -- should I be putting out a dish with grit in it as well? I was looking at MPC and they have a 10 oz cage cup for grit - how many would I need for my number of hens?

3. I read that you can toss them apples -- should I core them? Cut them into pieces or just toss out the whole apple?

4. On the other hand, if I feed them freeze-dried meal worms (instead of the foragecake/apples) would I put them in a cup or just scatter them on the ground? Or should I give them these in addition to the other treats (2-3x week)?

I am ashamed to say I have only ever given my hens a few grass clippings when I mow our yard and with it being so hot and dry this year there really isn't much to give them *sigh*

Chicks:

1. I will be placing an order for 10 Delaware chicks tomorrow. I intend to feed them the Starter&Grower for their first 18-20 weeks of life - adding grit to their diet when they turn 1 week. My question is this: what do ya'll do with the left over starter/grower feed if there is a significant amount (lets say 1/2 of a 25# bag) left over when it is time to change them up to the layer feed? (I don't remember what we did with our Australorps, but then we had 28 chicks at that time so they went thru a lot more feed)

I probably should have thought to ask all these questions with my first batch of chickens, but I suppose better late than never [​IMG] Really want to do things right this time around!!

Thanks for being so patient with all my questions [​IMG]

EggheadsRus

2. JulieFS

JulieFS Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    Freeport, Michigan
    I give mine a Flock Block (about $11 at a feed store) and I just set it on a cement block or 2x4... It has the oyster shells and grit right in it and they LOVE it.
    Also, the leftover grower... when they got a little oder, I mixed their "grown up" food with the starter and used it all up. They'll still eat it!

3. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I do that with my left over starter as well. As for the apple question, you dont have to core it< i do chop up my treats in big chunks so there is enough to go around. Meal worms you can put in a dish or scatter, or see if you can teach your chooks to take them from your hand. [​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    If you're offering oyster shell anyway, you can just feed the rest of the chick feed to any of the chickens. When I offer grit to my chickens, I just throw a handful into their run. They pick it up as they scratch around. But then again, aside from their crumbles, I just throw everything on the ground!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by