Questions about two of our hens

ReddingQuail

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 29, 2010
Our coturnix quail are 7 weeks old today. My hens have been laying for a week or two. When we were collecting eggs this evening and getting our weekly weigh in weights, one of the hens was very bloody around her vent hole with her "insides" hanging out and the other hens were picking at her in that area. I'm guessing that's why she was bloody. We've isolated her into a separate cage until we can figure out if this is normal or not. I'm thinking "not". Have any of you had a similar happening with your hens? Any advice to pass along?

I've also got another hen that appears to have an injured foot, and is spending most of her time just hunkered down, not eating much and she was only 4.4 oz. at weigh in tonight, that's when we noticed her foot problem. Any suggestions on dealing with this?

Thanks for reading, and look forward to hearing back.

Your first hen seems to have a prolapse but I have never had to deal with something along those lines so I would not even begin to give you any kind of advice. Best leave that to more knowledgeable people than me. I hope that everything works out for her.
As for the one with the foot problem is there any way for you to get some pics so we can see what is going on? What type of injury? An open sore or some type of swelling? A possible break? For now I would isolate her as well so the others are not walking all over her and put her food and water very close to her so she would be able to get to it with out bothering her foot.

Back
Top Bottom