Questions about wafer thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sfoelee, Sep 6, 2009.

1. sfoelee

sfoelee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    east bay,california
    I just bought a used bator and was told it was only used a couple of times. . Is there an easy way to test the wafer? I heard that the wafer thermostat is very reliable When the pilot light is on I hear a buzzing sound which may be the wafer thermostat right? My other Hovabator has always been quiet and has been in use for two years continuously. thanks for any help
    sorry to submit this post twice. i guess i have another question ? how do you delete multiple posts?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  2. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    The wafer thermostat is likely not the buzzing you hear. The switch that is affected by the wafer makes a click when it clicks on and off. Does your bator have a fan? the element could buzz a bit I suppose.

If the bator holds temp then it is obvious that the switch and wafer are working.

the wafer as you likely know expands and contracts and clicks a switch on and off.

3. sfoelee

sfoelee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2008
    east bay,california
    Thanks for your replies. Since Friday the wafer thermostat has worked okay. Temperatures have been between 100.3 and up to 100.9. The buzz or hum continues. I don’t think it’s the on and off switch as I recognize that sound and the low humming is continuous since I started the incubator. The fan is fine. I must say that everything seems okay aside from that irritating hum. I guess I will try some eggs. Again many thanks for all your help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by