1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions about weeder geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by foothillsfiber, Jun 17, 2012.

1. foothillsfiber

foothillsfiber Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    So I am wanting something to weed the garden, thought that ducks might work, did not. Right now is when I am needing the weeding and I have: broccoli, corn, green beans, okra, squash, cucumbers, winter squash, potatoes, tomatoes, melons, and cantaloupe, and strawberries. How do you all that use geese to weed the garden do it. I am thinking about trying it again next year with geese but want to study up real good first. I currently have chickens and guineas. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Geese would enjoy many of those crops you listed. Geese have been used in large planted areas such as fruit groves, established cotton fields, established berry bush areas.

3. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Thanks
    Guess I will just have to keep pulling weeds myself

4. When I read about it, what you need is a large field of something broad leaved . . . corn plants or potato plants were what I heard. Older goslings get fenced into the field with their food, water, and shade after the crop is big enough to be not as appetizing, and then the geese eat all the weeds . . . goslings are so hungry that I believe it would work, but I also can see them pulling things up, or nibbling on the corn just for fun. I gave up on the weeding idea, when I saw what good lawn mowers the geese are. But I sympathize -- weeding gets really old!

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Get the geese, keep them out of the garden. Then pull the weeds and feed them to the geese.

It is more fun to feed the geese than it is to just be pulling weeds for no reason.

6. foothillsfiber

Dec 23, 2011
    Arkansas
    Sounds like a plan, weed to feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by