Questions about what I found when candling. Sorry, long.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Jun 10, 2008.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    There are a couple of things that I am concerned about in my incubating eggs. One of my EE eggs has an obvious baby developing...and quite well it would appear, but the air cell is at the pointy end. These eggs were pretty abused in shipping so I assume it was damaged then, but it seems to have actually secured to the opposite end. Should I flip the egg over (I am using egg cartons) to give the baby a better chance? It is developing completely in the fat end of the egg.

Next, I had two (Black Tailed White Japanese Bantams) that were not developing at all. I cracked them to see what was in there and one had the yolk broken, again, rough handling. Now, a couple of my developing EE eggs had a very dark apperance throughout the inside. Is it possible for an egg with the yolk broken to start developing a baby chick? I mean, the yolk is just their food source while in the egg, correct, and the little white bullseye is what turns into a baby? If so, do they have any chance at all of making it to hatch?

And last, just a happy brag. 5 of my 8 BLRW have definite babies, 2 are not sure, and one is almost definite not. My lone Silkie has a baby and I actually saw what I am pretty sure was a heart beat (rythmic beating), so I am super excited over that one!!! I have a total of 25 assorted eggs and there was a lot of development throughout. [​IMG]

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

I've never heard of the airsac being at the small end, but I'd be tempted to turn it. And perhaps hatch it in a carton.
    I have had scrambled eggs develop, but they don't make it much past the first 7-10 days. [​IMG] I've thrown out so many eggs because of that, it's unreal. But, I would leave them in, keep the humidity up just a little bit higher, maybe 5%, and be really gentle with them. [​IMG] Can't hurt to try!

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Thank you!!!!! [​IMG]

I have had scrambled eggs develop, but they don't make it much past the first 7-10 days.

That is what I was afraid of, that they could start developing but not be able to continue. I will just hope for the best. My policy is, if I don't KNOW there is nothing going on, it stays. [​IMG]

4. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I just opened one up that I thought was scrambled and ended up killing a live embryo. So don't give up on them. Mine was on day 10, and was very dark, and the dark swirled around, no sign of movement or veins. But it looked great when I opened it, exactly what it should be. It was quite different from all the other eggs too, and those I can see the baby moving.

5. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Sorry lemurchaser. [​IMG] That is what I am so afraid of doing.

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I think I may have done that a couple of times myself. I've just learned to wait until day 17... I candle at 7 days, and mark the questionable ones. Then again at day 14 if I can't wait, but definitely day 17, before moving them to the hatcher. If I don't see a cram-packed egg or movement, it goes in the trash. [​IMG] I would just let them continue unless you have weeping or stinkies. [​IMG]
    Just don't give up on them until they're due to hatch. You can tell by how big the embryo is/isn't at those last 3 days.

7. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Congrats on the BLRW!! [​IMG] I can't wait to see them hatch!

I have no idea on the broken yolk but I wouldn't give up on them, not yet. But that's just what I would do. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You're gonna love your BLRWs [​IMG]

9. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    I hatched out a chick that had it's air sack almost all the way to the bottom of the egg. It did just fine.

Louella

10. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can they still hatch if the air sack is floating? I'm pretty sure it is in several of my shipped eggs. I asked a friend who retired from the good old USPS last year if workers were ever jerks and if they saw a box marked "fragile" shook it for the "fun" of it. She said yep- that did happen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by