Questions about when rabbits breed

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by stone_family3, Nov 9, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Do they bite each other or hurt each other? I'm having trouble figuring out if the spotted stray is a male or female, today it has a wound (already scabbed over). Also I know for sure the grays are male and they seem to getting along great. I don't see them fighting and I only saw one humping incident but Hamlet had the wrong end.

Here is the original stray thread with pictures *update on page 4*

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Looks like spotty has a dewlap, in which case, very likely to be female. There are some websites that offer good sexing instructions though (with videos or photos) for rabbits. Females tend to be the highly territorial ones, and rabbits do fight and can even kill each other. Also, males and females together= lots of unwanted babies! So I would definitely get them all sexed. [​IMG]

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Quote:I've checked the websites, but the rabbit is a fighter so it makes it very hard since I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm still calling around to see if I can get a vet to check for under $60. They were strays so they were already together, just don't want to put them in with my pet until I know. I also didn't want to leave them run about and get hit by a car or shot (we have some mean kids around here).

4. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Locally, we had a spay and neuter clinic fix both our rabbits. Our female cost 60 dollars, and our male cost 50, and their was no added exam fee or other fees (meds, sexing, tooth and nail clip were all free). You might see if you have any spay nueter clinics in your area that handle rabbits. [​IMG]

Oh, and some local vets here are very involved in cases like this (andoned animals), so maybe someone there will check for free for you if you explain the situation. Vet techs or any local rabbit breeders may also be willing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by