Questions about Wyandotte chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Virus, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    Since spring is about to start I'm looking into breeds that I want to expand my flock and I'm really interested in Wyandottes. I look for tame, friendly chickens and that's pretty much all I want but since I live on a farm they have to provide something. I've read that Wyandottes are tame and lay well so I think they would be perfect and I've even found someone who sells small numbers of gold laced Wyandottes which I think are gorgeous. Though I have been getting conflicting info about their broodieness. Some things I've read says they go broody often and others say the almost never do. It would be great if they would be broody for me as I want to breed and hatch chicks and ducklings. If someone could tell me if which is true then that would be great! Also if anyone has any other good breeds then I'd love to hear about them.

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    They are a great chicken but it highly depends upon the bird, you could ask the person how broody their girls get and go from there even if he/she breaks her broodies, it would help to determine how often yours might go broody.

3. Virus

Virus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I'll see if I can contact them, that sounds like a great idea!

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    It's not perfect but genetics also have to do with the broodiness a bit, so your girls you get could be a little more or a little less broody.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree broodiness is highly individual. I've not heard Wyandottes have higher inclination to brood, but your breeder may have selected for that. My hatchery birds never showed the slightest interest in brooding. But, they were decent layers, calm birds, and beautiful eye candy [​IMG].

Classic breeds for brooding are silkies, Cochins, game birds, Dark Cornish, and some lines of Orpingtons. But again, it's highly variable. We've had members with silkies that never once went broody, and white Leghorns that were reliable broody hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by