Questions and pics of my silly ducks

aduckstolemyheart

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Missouri
Haven't posted in a while, so I thought I would update you guys with pics of my babies!

Also have a few Q!

1. My hen, Georgie, acts like a mother hen, or a crotchety missus all the time! Anytime the two drakes get far from her, She squawks at them, runs over, makes this weird deep, staccato "honk honk honk", bobs her head SIDEWAYS and herds them back, what in the world is she doing? lol

Also, I am beginning to think I have a Hermaphroduck! lol Bella (my first drake) in the year and a half I have had him has not had a drake feather. Everyone thinks he is a hen, because he has no drake feather! He is obviously a drake, based on his low, raspy quack (no doubt about the voice). Is it normal to have a drake with no feather??

And lastly, my hen is at the age where she should start laying, and I have put her on laying feed. My questions is, since they free range during the day, where should I expect her to lay? Anywhere on our three acres, or do they lay near their pens? Should I just go on daily egg searches? lol

Anyway here's the pics of the duckies, and a couple of Bella and my cat monkeys continued love affair.
tongue.png

duckiesthree.jpg

bellaandmonkey2.jpg

bellaandmonkey.jpg

Last edited:
I love the cat & duck couple, sorry i can't help with the questions, i just have Muscovies but some of this years older ducklings (hens) have been acting REALLY motherly towards the new babies, they always wanna be around them, it's very funny but strange at the same time!

Thanks guys! I love watching them together, and happened to have a camera handy again this time when they were loving on each other. It doesn't happen near as often since the other ducks went outside. Now that he has a few of his own kind he is a bit busy for his old feline companion. Good to see they still love each other.
tongue.png

Bleenie,

Funny! I love to watch the sweet big ones with the babies, melts my heart!

Maybe she IS just being a mother hen then! Her silly behavior keeps me entertained for hours! I have never heard a duck makes that deep quick quack/chirping she does. Maybe she is just "chiding" them. lol

Anyone know about the egg question, or any other advice?

Oh but your ducks are pretty! One of my drakes is a year old and HAD a drake feather or 2, briefly, before one of the other ducks plucked it out in a little duck skirmish. I told him if he'd quit being such a jerk to everybody he'd still have his manhood.
tongue.png
I changed his name to Samson.
big_smile.png
Maybe that's what happens to yours? One of the other ducks pluck it out?

I love that your cat will let the duck do that. Tooooo cute! And a true Kodak moment.
big_smile.png
My cats are scared of my ducks and run the other direction if they get too close.... because that drake without the drake feather... attacks them too.
hmm.png

The head bobbing with the chirpy sort of quack is an invitation to mate. Also, most of my ducks lay in the early morning hours before I let them out so the eggs are usually IN the pen.

I have seen it as an invitation to mate and as a "status call". My top duck, Shelley, will run over to all the other ducks and do that at them to remind them she is in charge...LOL

Wife, I think you're right, she seems to use it in both situations! She seems to boss everyone around and then I have also seen her do it when they were in the pool, and the pool always means frisky ducks!

Thanks for all the responses! I hope she keeps the eggs by the pen, if not, I may give up looking for them, because there is just too much ground to cover to find one small egg. She just hit 16 weeks, so I am guessing I ought to see eggs soon right?

Mystical, he was an "only duck" for the first year I had him, (he was a rescue) so I can rule out the other ducks plucking. There for a while it looked like one was growing this year after his molt, but then nothing. Good to know my drake isn't the only one! He is an ornery little turd too, and bites everyone on a daily basis. I keep telling him he better get nicer or he'll wind up dinner. I think he knows I won't ever do it. lol

My cat is a big softie with the ducks. My other cat is kind to them too, but he doesn't allow cuddling or pecking lol.

Back
Top Bottom