Questions for anyone who has raised colored rangers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ChikeeMomma, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Looking to order some next year from JM Hatchery, so looking for some info. I am currently raising Dixie Rainbows from S and G Poultry. These guys seem to be growing quite nicely (6weeks old), but would like to try the other colored rangers. Thanks for your input!

What color did you order -- the tricolor, red, or yellow? And does it matter which color?

Were you satisfied?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. wookiee

wookiee Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2008
    I checked the JM website, and you cannot specify color. I ordered 20 chicks, 21 arrived and made it to processing at 10 weeks. I received mostly Red Bro with one or two obvious tri colors and about 4 yellow.

I am very, very pleased. They were ready at 9 weeks, but I went conservative, averaging 5 lbs.

I will be doubling my order next year.

3. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Okay, I wondered about the color thing (if you were allowed to choose or if it even mattered). Thanks for the info!

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    the colored rangers are awesome! they grow quickly and you will be very satisfied! you order and they select what coloration you get. the black are no longer available.

the owners are wonderful and great to deal with. they have even taken my calls while on a plane! they are honest, forthright and have given me nothing but excellent service.

i will be ordering probably about 200 birds from them next season. i highly recommend them and wouldn't blink before doing so.

5. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Thanks, MJ. I think I will try my hand at 25 rangers next spring. The Dixie Rainbows are growing well, too. I think the minimum order at S and G is higher, though. Hope you and your family are feeling better!

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Quote:no, you can do 25 @ s&g, but in all honesty, i had a lot of ordering issues with them. out of three orders, all three were incorrect. and not a little incorrect, a lot incorrect. the product is excellent, the service on the phone is great, but the actual shipments were each incorrect by large amounts.

7. ChikeeMomma

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Yup, I do remember you saying that. For some reason I didn't read their website right on minimums. Oh well, it was a while ago when I was on there. Thought it would be fun to try the colored rangers from JM anyways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by