Questions for collecting and storage of Silky Eggs for Incubation...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 25, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I have eggs on Day 11 in the incubator.
    I have 13 eggs under a hen in the coop (which I have marked)
    My other hen is still laying but not sitting and the first hen can't take anymore under her.
    so I am collecting the unmarked eggs and storing them till I can put them in the incubator.

here are my questions

1. The main floor of my house is reading at 71F/22C. Should I find a cooler place to store them?
    2. What is the ideal temp for storage?
    3. I have them in a egg tray, pointy side down, and tilted to the side with X O markings, how often do I roll the stored eggs/day?
    4. I am also dating them, what is the oldest egg you can put in the bator? 14 days...less ?

[​IMG]

2. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    ideal temp is 50 to 60 degrese but 71 will work just fine you can store them for 10 days after that the hatch rate goes way down [​IMG]

3. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thank you

and the turning of the eggs during storage...is it the same as in the incubator (3x/day)?

4. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    yeah as long as it is more than once a day then they should be fine

5. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Thanks!

I have moved them to the basement (cooler)
    I will turn them 2-3x/day

I haven't even had my first hatch and already thinking and planning for my second...can we say addicted people! [​IMG]

6. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    haha same for me i got an incubator for my birthday and have already hatched one bunch and the next will hatch in 1 week and i have 4 under a silkie [​IMG]

7. MuskokaChick

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    I would love an incubator, but in the meantime we just made a homemade one...

my one hen is sitting on 13...I think it is too many for her...but she growls when I go near her. [​IMG]

8. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I have joined Hatchaholics Anonymous. [​IMG]
    I have 18 silky eggs setting on my kitchen table waiting to go in with some turkey eggs on Sunday ( the turkey eggs will be in a week on Sunday) that way they all hatch out the same time..I have 4 month old chickies, 12 week old chickies and an incubator full of 12 turkey eggs w/ the silkies ready to go tomorrow...my SO is really giving me the evil eye...He is making the coop today while I am at work.. Hey, he's laid off, he needs to do something.. [​IMG]

9. zebserema

Jun 17, 2011
    haha i have never tried turkey but i want to [​IMG]

10. blkwdw

blkwdw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    I have got to tell you, that is the fattest squirrel I have ever seen [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by