1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions for help with my quail incubator!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailchick91, Sep 13, 2016.

1. quailchick91

quailchick91 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    So I built an incubator for cortunix quail eggs outta a plastic storage bin old panel to a Guinea pig cage for a cover a heat lamp with a 75 watt bulb and a small jar of water for humidity the temp reaches almost 100 degrees f but every now and again will drop a few degrees to about 94 or 95 degrees but that's the lowest I've seen it go. How low a temp can quail eggs survive under before intervention is needed? And wat can I do to raise the temp and keep it stable? My quail eggs arrive this Saturday so I need answers before then thanks to all in advance!

2. Everlong

Everlong Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    Storage boxes will not work. You need an old cooler to make an incubator. I learned myself. Before....[​IMG]

After.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. quailchick91

Sep 7, 2016
    Sadly styrofoam coolers are a seasonal item where I live and are not available to me right now this storage bin was all I had

4. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    I used a regular cooler, you can find used coolers for cheap locally for sale, craigslist etc...
    If you use a storage box your light will be on most of the time

5. quailchick91

Sep 7, 2016
    I'm gonna try using a different method with one of my old ten gallon aquariums and see how that goes if nothing else works I will try out the cooler method

6. Everlong

May 17, 2016
    Mississauga, Ontario
    from what I have found, and I'm still new to this, anything will work. Cardboard box will work, someone recently had eggs hatch from underneath a table lamp. But, hatch rates for sure will be different, and it might be hard to keep proper % of humidity. I screwed up first time with my cooler by opening it too often and not keeping humidity at constant. Only 1 hatched out of 7 and it died two days later. On my second attempt I just kept it closed for 20 days and kept humidity at 60% all the time. 5 out of 7 hatched, the other two eggs were not fertile. All hatched within few hours.

7. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    On my first batch I used a see through plastic tote wire wire cloth riveted to the cut out lid for my brooder. on my last hatch I set too many eggs to consider using it. I went to a second hand store and bought an old dvd cabinet and repurposed it. 24" wide by 46" tall and 18" deep. Laid it on its back and built legs for a comfy height.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  8. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    got a tractor supply nearby? Ask them if you can have one the next time they get vaccines in :)

9. quailchick91

Sep 7, 2016
    Tractor supply in my state are not nice enough to do that Idk why? But whenever I ask them for things they throw away they refuse me flat out I think they since to somehow recognize that I'm high functioning autistic and just wanna be ignorant towards lending me a hand they've given me great customer service when I asked for help finding stuff in the store but evrything else they act like jerks

10. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Have you asked for their receiver. They just throw those away in the dumpster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by