questions for incubating,eggs.etc

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChuckenGirl, Feb 16, 2008.

1. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    when should you start to candle
    is there a certain time hour that you chould turn eggs
    what temperature should the incubator be.
    should the eggs be laying sideways or up and down?

if i think of anymore i'll ask.
    and any useful information will be good =]

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There is alot of info already here on the forum. Look in the learning center also.

Having talked to you in chat I think you need to go to the library and check out some books on incubating and hatching BEFORE you set eggs.

I am not being abrupt or mean. I am not putting off your questions.

When we talked last night in chat it told me you really needed to read and understand the processes involved before you begin hatching. simply because your birds lay eggs does not mean they will sit and hatch. It doesn't work that way with every hen.

You can also get alot of good info from your local extention agent/office.

Right now, while you read and learn, you can try to get your bator set at 99.5 - 100.5 degrees inside a water wiggler or 101 - 102 air temp at the top of eggs if you only have a plain thermometer.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If your just getting into hatching chicks...you should not candle any sooner than day 7, this will show you good veining and the embryo, plus opening the bator too much lets your humidity go down and your temps, most candle on day 7, 14 and 18.......Just as long as you turn atleast 3 times a day not less then those for a good hatch...turn the eggs morning, noon and night is what I do...turning helps prevent the yolks from settling to one side and also exercises the embryo....I do not have a turner so my eggs lay flat on the wire mesh...big end towards the back of the bator, pointy end towards the front...

Depends on what type of incubator you have, if you have directions follow those that came with it, get some good books and read up on incubation.....still airs are in the 101 to 103 range...most keep others at 100 to 101..Humidity runs between 40 to 50% first 18 days, 60 to 70% the last 3 and thats when you stop turning your eggs....someone else will chime in if they do things different....

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    I would just repeat everything MissPrissy told you and Tuffoldhen.

These 2 young ladies know what they are talking about.

I'm on my 8th hatch right now and starting #9 later today.
    You need to be prepared before you start or you are asking
    for a heartbreak and every hatch will be a new learning experience.

The fact you are asking means you want to learn. Now just go to
    the hatching area and start reading. Good Luck!!!!!

5. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
  6. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Ahhhhh PC...there is always that chance of a funky seeping eggie...lol shame on you for not candling!

7. PurpleChicken

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:lol, I have one of those now but it's stabilized.

I did have 2 bad eggs blow up in my face when I was checking then to see why
    they didn't hatch. OMG. Nasty. It was all over me, my kitchen cabinets, even the
    cieling. It smelled so bad the dogs were howling. Once that happened I swore
    never to not candle again. :eek:

8. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    If you had candled at day 7 or 10 you would have found them before they went poof!... [​IMG]...funky eggs don't stablized!....lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by