Questions for male pigeon owners

Pie

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2020
Those of you who have male (or possibly female) pigeons, do they often attempt to mate with you/your hand? I recently saw a video where someone had a pigeon who was very affectionate with their hand and even ejaculated on them, Im wanting to get pigeons soon but I really don't want to have to deal with getting covered in pigeon semen all the time.
Would this not happen because Id keep him with a mate as opposed to just with me? Would it be better to try to have 2 females or 2 males bond instead of a male and female? Do doves do this as well? Sorry for all the questions I just really want to make sure I make the right choice for me and the birds

Oct 18, 2018
Those of you who have male (or possibly female) pigeons, do they often attempt to mate with you/your hand?
no, this only happens with very tame birds. I have never experienced this.
Would this not happen because Id keep him with a mate as opposed to just with me?
you are right. They only 'mate' with humans if there is a absence of a mate of their own kind.
Would it be better to try to have 2 females or 2 males bond instead of a male and female?
no. Many say it doesn't matter, but it isn't natural. I would recommend a male and female for them to be happiest.

Top Bottom