Questions for Nettie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Miss Ducky, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    How often do you need to change a duck diaper? And how would the diaper harness handle it if a duck laid an egg in it? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Miss Ducky!

The Harnesses hold half of a disposable baby diaper (We just cut them in half) and should be changed at least every 2-4 hours, depending on if/when the duck was eating. If the duck was eating or drinking while wearing the diaper harness (Or if it ate/drank right before) you will have to change the insert sooner/more often. If the duck is not eating or drinking, I usually change them every four hours or as needed. They can poop a couple times into one insert before needing a new insert.

I've heard of many people with indoor ducks (who don't give their ducks access to food and water at night) diapering them all night long (about 8 hours). My ducks have a pen, so I've never had to do this personally. There is enough room to lay and egg in a diaper (that's actually how I found out Victor was actually a girl, lol). Their tails can either be left out or tucked into the harness, but if you are anticipating that an egg will be laid soon, you can leave the tail feathers out to give it a bit more room.

Hopefully that answers your questions! If you have more, feel free to ask here or PM me!

3. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Lol i was wondering why Victor was sitting on 'his nest' in one of your photos [​IMG]
    Didnt think the males helped with the egg hatching lol

4. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Thanks Nettie! Will be ordering diapers once they get full grown!

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Quote:I know! Someone once thought that Nettie didn't know her own ducks and had to be set straight...plus, sometimes some of us (like me) don't necessarily like "girl names"...I had a horse that I named "Picasso" because of her unique markings, but everyone called her a "he"!

6. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    We decided not to keep male ducks, since breeding will ruin our ducks loving pet status (like not allowing your companion parrot to breed). We named them as babies, and gave them their 'gender" qualifiers before we we sure.... It just to happened that out of the 3 I didn't have sexed, I ended up with all girls... Those three all got boy names, lol. But Ollie is given "she" and "her" since she just acts so female. lol. Victor and Vinny have taken on the roles of alpha ducks and act very much like boys, never quacking, victor squeaks... They always dominate the rest... It just fits. lol. I decided that if I end up with another duck I'll give it a predetermined male name, even if it's female.... Keep up with the tradition. lol...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by