Questions for Phoenix residents or anyone for that matter!?!

Shaggy2061

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2019
Tempe soon to Be Eloy, AZ
Garden of the Geeks - Ver 2.0 Update Coming Soon! With added Coturnix quail
Hello Shaggy2061 with Garden of the geeks here with a few questions

Living in the Valley of the sun (Phoenix, AZ area) Wondering what peoples experience out there is with coturnix quail(local and not so local), Questions like
01 . What kind of Shade are you providing them
02. Feed and where to get it
03. Where to get the Pullets to start out with (raising for eggs only)
04. HELP!!!!!!!!!

OK with that out of the way. Moving on to about Me and or us.. Family of % here living in a tiny arse mobile home lot. We almost own mobile (darn mortgage) not the Land. Funny thing we own 3.75 acres out in eloy just can not move home till we pay off mortgage(darn mortgage)! So can only really do coturnix quail Right now (also have to kind of keep them sorta quiet and hidden). SHH!!!!! Like i siad we have lees than a 20th of an acre we are located on Here is what we started with Yeah it is not looking like that today.
And I can finally start updating my YouTube channel again as the problems I had(Neighbors) are gone.

Anyways Come tax time we are going to upgrade to Coturnix quail Need and want to bring down food budget so we can move out to Out Land we have paid off anff and start really doing it up..

So anyways as you can see I ramble like mad crazy so any questions I will gladly answer!

Thank you

Hi Shaggy :frow

I live in Phoenix and have Coturnix quail. This will be the first summer but I've had chickens here a few years already.

Ours are in a covered garden. There's 80% shade cloth over the top and west wall. I have several native plants in there to provide shade and another covered area in there for deeper shade and to keep their feed dry.

I buy turkey start from Pratts in Glendale because it's the closest but you might try Tractor Supply. Depending on where you are there's also Stockmans in S Phoenix. TSC and the other might have game bird feed.

I hatched eggs from a guy I found on Craigslist last Fall. I'll be hatching in Spring, but you can still find birds on Craigslist.

The only time I hear them is when the males crow and they aren't any louder than the wild birds around.

Here's how my quail are housed. It's a work in progress right now, there will be more plants in there soon. Good luck!

20190117_111740.jpg
20190117_111815.jpg
20190117_111855.jpg

So, it's important to be aware that some females won't lay at all or will at a very reduced rate without a male around. It can also make the females more placid and affectionate with each other to be distracted by being annoyed at their man, lol. That's why most people who keep coturnix for eggs still keep a boy, unlike with chickens. That said, you only want *one* per living space with 2-8 hen friends.

Edit: I saw that noise is a concern, and yes, the boys do crow, but it isn't *terribly* loud and it will be minimal with girlfriends to keep them distracted. Mine crow when they're out of food or water or see a threat, i.e. me, but with one male and a bunch of hens it shouldn't be overwhelming. I have 14 roos right now indoors in my main house and I haven't gone insane (yet).

Back
Top Bottom