1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions from a first-timer

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SunnySideUp, Jul 9, 2007.

1. SunnySideUp

SunnySideUp Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2007
    How long did it take to get your first eggs? Can anyone describe how your hens behaved prior to laying? My girls are all just over 4mos and my RIR (about 17.5/18 weeks) was just sitting in the coop panting in the heat while the other girls are finding shade and dust baths. She's now made her way to a nice cool hole but won't move off it, even for a cheese treat. Is she getting ready to lay or should I be worried that she's not feeling well?

Thanks in advance!

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    well, it takes 20 weeks or less/more for a hen to start laying. I think your chicken is getting ready to lay. . .but, even if she's not, you shouldn't worry.

-alex

3. SunnySideUp

Mar 27, 2007
    Thanks for the response. I'm keeping an eye on her...very excited to have eggs!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Like alex said, chances are she is getting ready to lay. I've had some birds start as early as 17 weeks. Good luck and keep an eye out for that illusive egg!

5. SunnySideUp

Mar 27, 2007
    Well, our hunch was right and all of your thoughts too! Our girl laid her first egg last night and another one tonight. The first one was weak and very small, and the second one was more normal size but the shell was nearly non-existant.

Here's some photos if anyone's interested...I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, but here's a link to some pics on flickr.

http:[email protected]/783592496//
    thanks!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  6. GoodEgg

GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Congrats on the egg! I'm sure it will get better right away, and you'll be feeding your family in no time.

I'm looking forward to that day too, but I have a long way to look. My chicks are only 5 weeks old now.

(But the ducks should be laying .... I'll just never be able to FIND the eggs!)

trish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by