Questions from a newbee on poop and temperature.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OBnurse, May 14, 2011.

1. OBnurse

OBnurse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    North Western Wisconsin
    My husband and I are new at raising chicks. We just got 22 Welsummer chicks shipped to us two days ago. One came dead and another one died over night. A couple of them have poop that is stuck on there butts that we keep having to clean up for them. Also we are a lot colder than we typically are this time of year. Where we have them is not insulated and we have one heat lamp. Seems like they like to huddle under it a lot. So we are getting another heat lamp. Any tips or suggestions for someone starting of with chicks for the first time? We kind of feel like we are winging it even though we have done a lot of reading on chicks prior to getting them.

Thanks!![​IMG]

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    Yes I would either get a bigger bulb (we actually use a 250w red heat lamp, that is more than enough) and just make sure that your brooder doesn't have any drafts. If the chicks are nice and comfy and warm and on good food and water, they should get a bit better on the pasty butt. Sometimes I take a small pair of scissors and very carefully nip the little fluff right there at their butt, it seems to help the pasty butt from getting stuck so quickly, but you still have to keep an eye on it.

One big tip: the chicks will let you know when they are too cold or hot. I think you've already figured out the too cold part. If they are avoiding the heat lamp, obviously they are too hot and you can move it up. [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. OBnurse

OBnurse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    North Western Wisconsin
    Thanks!

We have a 250 watt. But I think with how windy it has been it is a little drafty. Plus we have the chicks in a kiddie pool right now. Wonder if it is too big of an area with out enough height to the walls for the one bulb and for how many chicks we have(20). We are gonna try changing things around some and hope that works better. Thanks again!!

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    1st off [​IMG] and [​IMG] from SE Pa.

Do you have them outside??? [​IMG] I hope not, 'cause it's waaay to cold for them to be outside yet, especially in your neck of the woods. If they are outside, you need to make the sides higher, or get a smaller brooder. JMHO

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by