Questions From a newbie

Apr 17, 2022
Denmark
Helle everyone I 3 days ago I picked up 2 hens that are about 17-18 weeks old. They are right now in quarantine bc I have 3 hens and a rooster that are 20 weeks old.
The chickens I already have are tame because I had them since they were a egg but the new ones I don’t really know anything about and 2 days ago I saw some blood in their poop but on the website it says they are fully vaccinated so don’t know if that was because they were stressed.
1. The two hens I picked up are NOT tame at all and the gray one doesn’t even wanna get outside so how do I get her to go outside to make sure she gets water?
2.one of them are laying eggs so do I need to give them oysters shells while they are in quarantine?
3.how do I get them to become more tame?
4.how do I check for diseases and other stuff if I can’t go near them?
That’s all my questions hope I can get some help.I will link a picture of their poop the first day I got them bc I’m a little concerned and I don’t know if chickens can get vaccinated against coccidiosis😬

Attachments

• 6A736FDA-9F12-49B2-8D1D-27790C3C69D4.jpeg
    6A736FDA-9F12-49B2-8D1D-27790C3C69D4.jpeg
    685.3 KB · Views: 3
You did not specify, but do you know what they were vaccinated for? If it was for cocciodiosis, were they given medicated feed at any point before you got them?

Chickens can be vaccinated against coccidiosis but if they already have it, it's way too late to be considering vaccination. That poop does look a little concerning so starting on a course of Corid might be a good idea.

As far as the questions:
1. She's probably going out to get water when you aren't looking. You can also provide some water inside if you're worried she's not drinking enough.

2. Yes, you should provide some.

3. Patience, time. Just being around them and moving slowly, not pushing them to interact with you, will get them more used to you. They may not ever be as friendly as your other birds though, depending on how they were raised (and individual personalities).

4. You can do a cursory exam by just looking at them and watching them as far as how they move, how they look. If you're looking for something specific (i.e. parasites) you will probably need to grab them though.

You did not specify, but do you know what they were vaccinated for? If it was for cocciodiosis, were they given medicated feed at any point before you got them?

Chickens can be vaccinated against coccidiosis but if they already have it, it's way too late to be considering vaccination. That poop does look a little concerning so starting on a course of Corid might be a good idea.

As far as the questions:
1. She's probably going out to get water when you aren't looking. You can also provide some water inside if you're worried she's not drinking enough.

2. Yes, you should provide some.

3. Patience, time. Just being around them and moving slowly, not pushing them to interact with you, will get them more used to you. They may not ever be as friendly as your other birds though, depending on how they were raised (and individual personalities).

4. You can do a cursory exam by just looking at them and watching them as far as how they move, how they look. If you're looking for something specific (i.e. parasites) you will probably need to grab them though.
Thak you for your answer,I don’t know what they are vaccinated for but I’m trying to find out,do you know where your can get corid?😊

There are several different strains of the bug that causes Coccidiosis. It's been a while but the last I heard the vaccine only works against a few of them, the most common. So even if they were vaccinated for Cocci and the vaccine took, they would not be immune to all the strains. I think treating them with Corid would be a great idea.

One time I fed mine the skins from where I canned beets. The next morning I thought they were pooping blood until I remembered the beet skins. If you feed them red cabbage they will poop a fluorescent blue. Have you fed them anything that would color the poop red?

There are several different strains of the bug that causes Coccidiosis. It's been a while but the last I heard the vaccine only works against a few of them, the most common. So even if they were vaccinated for Cocci and the vaccine took, they would not be immune to all the strains. I think treating them with Corid would be a great idea.

One time I fed mine the skins from where I canned beets. The next morning I thought they were pooping blood until I remembered the beet skins. If you feed them red cabbage they will poop a fluorescent blue. Have you fed them anything that would color the poop red?
No I haven’t feed them anything red bc I got them home on Monday but I called the man I bought them from and they pooped blood bc they popped a blood vessel from stress because of the move so they should be fine he said😊😊

No I haven’t feed them anything red bc I got them home on Monday but I called the man I bought them from and they pooped blood bc they popped a blood vessel from stress because of the move so they should be fine he said😊😊
Not sure if that's a thing or not. I'd watch their behavior and continue monitoring the poops, and as long as they're active and eating/drinking (even if inside) then maybe there is another explanation for the poop looking like that. If you notice lethargy, off behavior, continued bloody looking poops (or worse ones) then I'd definitely get Corid and begin treatment.

Back
Top Bottom