Questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kingme, Oct 16, 2009.

1. kingme

kingme Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Merced, CA
    Hi all,

I have 7 chickens total, two are older and should be laying eggs, but we have not seen any yet. The other 5 are about 19 weeks, so I imagine they may start laying in the next month. My questions are as follows:

Will the little ones eate the eggs> And if they do, will there be anything left to find. I don't see any evidence of shell or anything around.

I have heard the chickens make quite a noise when they lay. My coop is fairly close to the house, definately in earshot. So will I here them lay?

They eat a commercial diet, right now I am mixing layer pellets with flock raiser so they get som additional protein. But they also get lot's of fresh greens and corn from my garden. Is there anything that inhibits their ability to lay? Are ripe tomatoes ok?

Does anyone have any advice for a novice to help get the flock laying?

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

2. AmyRey

AmyRey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2009
    Our coop is pretty close to our house too, but surprisingly, I don't ever really hear the girls when they announce their gifts. The egg songs don't carry nearly as well as rooster crows do.

My girls LOVED ripe tomatoes. (Don't ask me how I know. I'm still mad at them.)

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Maybe. I doubt it though. You would see yolk on their faces if they do!

I have heard the chickens make quite a noise when they lay. My coop is fairly close to the house, definitely in earshot. So will I here them lay?

It really depends on the hen. Some are silent, some keep it up for fifteen minutes or more!
    They eat a commercial diet, right now I am mixing layer pellets with flock raiser so they get some additional protein. But they also get lot's of fresh greens and corn from my garden. Is there anything that inhibits their ability to lay? Are ripe tomatoes ok?

Sounds fine to me. Nothing wrong with treats.

Have fun!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by