QUESTIONS FROM ANOTHER NEWBIE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 4hLuvers, Dec 20, 2008.

1. 4hLuvers

4hLuvers Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2008
    Bay Area CA
    Hi everyone!
    Well, the coop/run is almost complete and its time to start thinking about where to get our chickens. We are planning to go to a few shows to look at some bantam hens and have a few questions:
    1. Can we buy hens at shows?
    2. Around how much do breeded bantams cost at shows?
    3. Would it be better to wait until spring for chicks?

Any other advice would be helpful as well.

THANKS!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Hello, there

Yes you can buy chicken at the show but they will be a little expensive because they are show birds more than production birds.
    Only thing you have to trust the seller, try to find some one you know or you can trust.

If you can wait till spring, then you have more options and chicks you get from hatcheries most likely will be healthiear than the chicks you get somewhere else.

Good luck

Merry Christmas.

Omran.

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My suggestion would be to wait until spring and spend the time waiting researching all the breeds to figure out what chicks you want.

Try here: http://feathersite.com/

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Quote:The Stockton Show is coming up. There will be sale pens there where breeders sell their excess birds. If you want to start out by having producing birds quickly this is the way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by