Questions: Move out day!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shalynnbrothers, Mar 8, 2016.

1. shalynnbrothers

shalynnbrothers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Come this weekend, my goal is to get our 6 standard size (5 and 6 week old) chicks moved out to the coop. We have 5 bantams that will be going into a separate coop shortly after. I'm new to raising chickens and can't help but feel a little worried to officially leave them outside all night. Our temperatures recently decided to drop as well, and we cannot run electricity to the coop for heat. They have quickly out grown their brooder and we have already upgraded the size of the brooder once. At night the temps are usually low 50's could sometimes drop to mid 40's. I guess my question is, are they going to be alright outside in the coop all night without heat? How low of temps can a chick that age handle? We don't have the room to upgrade their brooder again and they're quickly getting sick of each other as they out grow their space.

Our weather is usually quite sunny and beautiful. Of course the passed 2 weeks when we've been trying to finish the coop and get the chicks moved out, it's gotten cold and rainy.[​IMG]

Any advice on the transition from brooder to coop would be greatly appreciated!

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    They will be fine at that temp chickens handle cold way better than we do.

1 person likes this.
  3. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Could you possibly safely hang up a heat lamp for heat?

4. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    they can't run electricity to the coop.

5. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Really!? Oh my goodness, that is very comforting to hear. Thanks!

6. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    no problem mine went out a 4 weeks into my coop in the 60's so your should be fine

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Depends on how warm you've kept them in the brooder and how many feathers they have.
    I assume at 5 weeks they are off heat?

Make them a 'huddle box', put it in the brooder after turning off the heat(you might have to 'persuade' them to use it) then move it out to the coop with them.
    Cardboard box with a bottom a little bigger than what they need to cuddle next to each other without piling and tall enough for them to stand in.
    Cut an opening on one side a couple inches from bottom and big enough for 2-3 of them to go thru at once.
    Fill the bottom with some pine shavings an inch or so deep.
    This will give them a cozy place to sleep/rest, block any drafts and help hold their body heat in.

8. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA
    Last night it got down to 39 degrees!! I checked the forecast for this weekend (when we plan to move them out) It's supposed to rain Friday night and be 39 at night all weekend now.[​IMG]

I feel like we're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Do you know if there's such thing as a battery powered heat source that might work?

9. shalynnbrothers

Jan 31, 2016
    Ramona, CA

Yes they're off their heat lamp. Three are 5 weeks and Three are 6 weeks. The 6 week old chicks look fully feathered to me, the 5 week old chicks bodies seem to be fully feathered but their heads and necks are still fuzzy. Their used to 65 degrees... last night I let their room get down to 60/62ish. Last night was 39 degrees outside and the forecast for this weekend (when we plan to move them out) is rain on Friday and 39 degrees at night all weekend, ugh.

Huddle box sounds like a good idea, will that be enough for 39 degree nights though? And do you have any suggestions on how to persuade them to use it?

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by