1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Questions on a rooster...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toddntiff, Aug 23, 2008.

1. toddntiff

toddntiff In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    I will be the first to admit I'm still new to all of this chicken business, but I am learning quick and am admitidly obsessed now!!! I can't have roosters where I live because of the noise ordinance, but I was wondering if anyone else has this ordinance and has successfully kept a rooster? I've also read somewhere about having their voice box removed so they can't crow. Has anyone done this?
    I have Australorps and they are about 3 weeks old now so I don't even know how many roos I have, I would like to keep one if I could make it work...
    Just thought I'd check for ideas!
    Thanks!

2. Quote:I'm pretty sure I'm going to cause a stir with this one...

But in my opinion, removing the voice box of an animal is completely inhumane. I would follow my City Ordinances, or move to an unincorporated area, instead of subjecting an animal to something like that. A surgery like that would definitely take away from the quality of life...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2008
  3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I would advise against getting a rooster in your situation.

Please don't even consider mutilating a rooster by removing his"voice box".

I think you'll be happier in the long run keeping hens only. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I agree with Poulets and rooster-red.

5. Chickenrox

Chickenrox Hatching

Aug 22, 2008
    I am brand new to this whole chicken thing too and quit frankly I think our city frowns on the idea of having chickens at all. Now that I have fallen in love with them I can't imagine life with out them:)
    What if you just asked your neighbors permission. If they are ok with it then I say go for it.

6. Chickenrox

Chickenrox Hatching

Aug 22, 2008
    I am brand new to this whole chicken thing too and quit frankly I think our city frowns on the idea of having chickens at all. Now that I have fallen in love with them I can't imagine life with out them:love
    What if you just asked your neighbors permission. If they are ok with it then I say go for it.

7. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Something that might turn out to be a future problem is if they agree now, and get mad later and report you... you never can tell what they will do.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I would never ask a neighbor permission to get any animal. When was the last time a neighbor came to ask your permission to get a dog or a cat? Lee is right, they could use it against you. It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission, the saying goes.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. toddntiff

toddntiff In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    New Mexico
    Thank you for your advice. I thought there might be a way to make it work but I guess we'll have to wait until we move to that "dream" farm to have the rooster. I do have a friend who is raising Australorps and will be keeping a rooster so maybe he can come over for a "playdate" once in a while to keep my girls company!

10. pkeeler

pkeeler Songster

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    I don't think removing the voice box on a rooster is inhumane. At least, anymore than spaying a dog. Having said that, I haven't seen or heard of anyone who has had this operation done.

Does caponing a cockerel keep it from crowing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: