questions on all things shipped eggs

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
I have been reading and trying to figure it all out. I have shipped eggs coming tomorrow. I am planning on putting some under a broody and some in my incubator.

my mail normally comes around 1-3 but I am not home from work till after 4. My daughters will be home so I can have them open them and set them out and make sure they are all fat side up, but they can't candle them. Should I wait or have them open them?

I know to candle them. really hope I know what to look for as far as air cells....... and let them sit out pointy side up for 12-24 hrs. Now my thing a I said they should be here between 1-3pm on Mon. so I should set them around then on Tue? Is it ok if it goes later? I read one article that says if older eggs (bigger air cells) to set after 6 hrs. does anyone do this?

air cells. so if detatched then I set them upright in the incubator for 3 days and check again? if they are no longer detatched then do I lay them down like normal?

saddled I let sit upright in incubator for 3-4 days??? then lay them down? or keep them upright?

do I move them side to side when in the incubator? or just let them sit and don't move them at all? I know I turn the turner off.

Can I put any under my broody right away or should I wait the 3 days or whatever?

after I have them upright for 3-4 days do I lay them down and continue as normal?

PLEASE give me what has worked best for you for the best hatch rate both in an incubator and with a broody. This is my 3rd attempt at hatching and I wasn't having luck with fertility so trimmed butt feathers and was going to try again but the hen whose eggs I want to hatch went broody so not sure if the trimming worked but I do have the 3 eggs she laid before she went broody that I am going to set with the shipped eggs and hopefully the trimming helped

I’m working with my first broody now and on day 17 she kicked out a couple eggs. I water tested and they were bobbing away so in the incubator they went. I’m going to try to sneak them under her at night if they hatch. Since they are our eggs I’m not as Stressed....she is young and we are learning Who our best broody will be. 🐣 As to the saddled and wonky air sacs on shipped eggs I’ll say this. I set them in carton on counter and just prop edge up a smidge leaving them for two days before I placed in incubator. I’d only give nonsaddled to your broody, I used a cut portion of clear plastic egg carton in the incubator to hold the wonky air sacs so the turner couldn’t roll them around and for first three days I just spun them a quarter turn and tilt them so air sac on point. I was able to reattach a couple and hatch. It’s easier for me to use a carpenters pencil and trace all the air sacs on egg rechecking day three seven and fourteen. Best of luck and keep us posted!

I have been reading and trying to figure it all out. I have shipped eggs coming tomorrow. I am planning on putting some under a broody and some in my incubator.

my mail normally comes around 1-3 but I am not home from work till after 4. My daughters will be home so I can have them open them and set them out and make sure they are all fat side up, but they can't candle them. Should I wait or have them open them?

I know to candle them. really hope I know what to look for as far as air cells....... and let them sit out pointy side up for 12-24 hrs. Now my thing a I said they should be here between 1-3pm on Mon. so I should set them around then on Tue? Is it ok if it goes later? I read one article that says if older eggs (bigger air cells) to set after 6 hrs. does anyone do this?

air cells. so if detatched then I set them upright in the incubator for 3 days and check again? if they are no longer detatched then do I lay them down like normal?

saddled I let sit upright in incubator for 3-4 days??? then lay them down? or keep them upright?

do I move them side to side when in the incubator? or just let them sit and don't move them at all? I know I turn the turner off.

Can I put any under my broody right away or should I wait the 3 days or whatever?

after I have them upright for 3-4 days do I lay them down and continue as normal?

PLEASE give me what has worked best for you for the best hatch rate both in an incubator and with a broody. This is my 3rd attempt at hatching and I wasn't having luck with fertility so trimmed butt feathers and was going to try again but the hen whose eggs I want to hatch went broody so not sure if the trimming worked but I do have the 3 eggs she laid before she went broody that I am going to set with the shipped eggs and hopefully the trimming helped
Are they chicken eggs?
I wouldn't really want my boys to take them out of the box, If they were mine I'd just have them set them somewhere safe and I'd do it myself. I leave them fat side up in cartons at room temperature for 24 hours give or take before putting them into the incubator. (unless it's summer and hot shipping then I put them straight into the incubator)
How far did these eggs come from? Some post offices are worse than others.
You can set them upright or just put them in the incubator. I have done both.
If saddled eggs are fertile, they can still hatch, so no worries about that.

Are they chicken eggs?
I wouldn't really want my boys to take them out of the box, If they were mine I'd just have them set them somewhere safe and I'd do it myself. I leave them fat side up in cartons at room temperature for 24 hours give or take before putting them into the incubator. (unless it's summer and hot shipping then I put them straight into the incubator)
How far did these eggs come from? Some post offices are worse than others.
You can set them upright or just put them in the incubator. I have done both.
If saddled eggs are fertile, they can still hatch, so no worries about that.
my girls are 19 and 17 so not young. that is why I said one of them. )

yes chicken eggs. They are coming KY to MA.... not sure how far it is maybe 12 hrs driving? BUT they shipped Fri and will get here Mon. UGH NOT ideal!

got my shipped eggs today. They were wrapped in bubble wrap with papers stuffed around all the eggs just in a box. 1 was completely demolished, one cracked all the way though, one just had a dimple crack but I threw that one out too. so I have 9 out of 12 eggs. I am going to candle them tonight when it is dark to check the air cells hopefully they aren't too bad but with 3 broken I am a bit worried about that..........

Help!!!! I can't see air cells on shipped eggs. I saw one detached, and maybe one saddled but that may not have been it. The other 7 I can't see. Is it because they just came in the mail today? Will I be able to see them easier tomorrow??

Help!!!! I can't see air cells on shipped eggs. I saw one detached, and maybe one saddled but that may not have been it. The other 7 I can't see. Is it because they just came in the mail today? Will I be able to see them easier tomorrow??
How are they now? I was told wat 24-48 hours candle and set point side down in the incubator for a week, then set normal.

How are they now? I was told wat 24-48 hours candle and set point side down in the incubator for a week, then set normal.
I have read so many things with how people do it so I let them rest and put them in the incubator and some under my broody. Took a peek at a couple last night and the air sacks are pretty saddled one one, one is detached so don't expect anything from that one. Will check the incubator ones tonight. They are on day 3.

I know you wouldn't be able to be home for the delivery but was there a chance to pick the eggs up from the PO before you went to work?
In lieu of that, I must say that I disagree with most people's advice when it comes to incubating shipped eggs.
It sounds like they had a rough journey. With that treatment one can expect ruptured air cells. But IMO that isn't reason to deviate from good incubation practices.
It is OK to let eggs settle for 12 hours or so that have been jostled.
But. a broken membrane won't fix itself and the first 10 days are the most critical for turning, development of extra-embryonic membranes and embryo fitness.

I know you wouldn't be able to be home for the delivery but was there a chance to pick the eggs up from the PO before you went to work?
In lieu of that, I must say that I disagree with most people's advice when it comes to incubating shipped eggs.
It sounds like they had a rough journey. With that treatment one can expect ruptured air cells. But IMO that isn't reason to deviate from good incubation practices.
It is OK to let eggs settle for 12 hours or so that have been jostled.
But. a broken membrane won't fix itself and the first 10 days are the most critical for turning, development of extra-embryonic membranes and embryo fitness.
I think you were one that I had read about the turning them. So I just let them sit for 12 hrs or so and then put them in the incubator and under the broody and figured I would hope for the best and hopefully at least a few made it. I know one had/has the detached air cell. The others seemed ok from what I could see but they are saddled. So guess I see what the next week or so brings with development. hoping to see maybe a bit of something tonight (day 3) but some of the eggs are darker so harder to see.

Back
Top Bottom