Questions on breeding a traits

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by BairleaFarm, Nov 13, 2011.

1. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    I may have my thoughts all wrong so work with me. Ive got Bantam cochins and silkies. If i mix them could i get sizzles? If so is it hit or miss if i get all the silkie traits with frizzle feathers? I figure I can put silkie roos with frizzled cochins and frizzled cochin roos with silkie hens.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What about polish? Ive got a Buff Roo, Blue roo, black roo, blacks hens, and a blue hen. If i put them all together will I get random colors? or does one color take over?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    You won't get any sizzles in the first generation, both parents have to have the silkie gene, it is resessive.
    Frizzleing is dominate, either they have it or don't. Breeding frizzle to frizzle will give your frazzles, a double frizzle with very brittle feathers, constaly breaking off. Frizzles should be bred non frizzles, not all chicks will be frizzled (about 50/50).
    You could breed together frizzle and silkie, then take frizzled offspring and cross with Silkied parent you could possibly get sizzles, silkies, and frizzles.

About the polish,
    Blue x blue = 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash
    Blue x black = 50% blue, 50% black
    Blue x splash = 50% blue, 50% splash
    Black x splash = 100% blue
    Breeding with other colors will just give you mixed colors

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    This seems complicated. We wont ever worry about the polish for now as the percentages you listed just seem like a jacked up chicken math problem. Im not even to for sure what splash is. the black + splash = blue seems like reverse engineering.

I knew about frazzles So we wont worry about them either. Lets see if im hearing what your saying about the sizzles. Lets say I have several pens. Combinations of frizzle and silkies. I hatch all those eggs. Out of those eggs I take just the frizzled chicks and pair them with smooth silkie to get the sizzle?

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Sizzles are NOT silkied, so you WILL get sizzles the first generation, but crest and muff/beard (if bearded) will be lacking. First generation all dominant traits will show. But, in the second generation you will get TONS more phenotypes as the variations and recessive alleles start pairing up.

Variety mixing can be complicated, so check out the Chicken Calculator to see what you can get with specific combinations.

5. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:No.

Splash is two copies of the blue gene. One copy dilutes black plumage to blue; a second copy further dilutes it to splash. Black parent supplies offspring with a copy of not-blue, bl+. Splash parent provides offpring with a copy of blue, Bl. Thus, all offspring are Bl/bl+, and that is blue. Note that this affects only black plumage.

Select based upon type and other desired traits, and breed the F1s together. You will get sizzles, smooth sizzles, frizzled silkies and silkies. In future generations you can use the smooths to breed to your sizzles, and eventually remove the silkie gene from your sizzles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by