Questions on breeding for Lavender

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Elite Silkies, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I need help with breeding on the Lavender. I have Black Australorps and want to produce the Lavender.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    You will need to introduce a bird that has lavender. I suggest some of the Orpingtons available on here. Some are very similar to Australorps and shouldn't deter from the body-type too much.

When you introduce the color to your birds, the F1 generation from the lavender x black breeding will produce split-lavender chicks that look all black.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If I get split lavender chicks that look all black, is that just at hatch? Will some of them turn lavender as they get older, or do I have to breed the chicks, then I will get lavender?

Thanks for the help.

4. blueoval1

blueoval1 Songster

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    You can breed the chicks back to a lavender bird or breed them toghether.

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Songster

If I get split lavender chicks that look all black, is that just at hatch?

The 'Split' lavender chicks will stay black.​

6. When the split chicks are bred amongst each other you should get 25% lavender.

7. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    So, with the 25% lavender chicks I get, I can breed them together and get 100% lavender, correct?

If so, I have a long road ahead of me...............I'll be working for awhile [​IMG]

Now, I just have to find me some lavenders, and I'm on my way

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Get and breed two unrelated lavenders to unrelated blacks. As chicks hatch mark them as to which pair produced them. Those offspring are all split for lav: Lav+/lav. Breed the chicks from each group together. 25% will be lavender, select for type and breed back to parents and 50% should be lavender. Continue selecting for type until you have regained it. One you have, breed lavenders only to each other--the only point in the splits is to create a gene pool and for breeding to type.

9. peepdaddy

peepdaddy Songster

May 6, 2009
    Wolfe co.
    If your interest is lavender birds, it would be simpler to get rid of the australorps (sale them, etc.) then buy a lavender rooster and a couple or three lavender hens. You'd be much further along much faster.

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lavender is a colour, not a breed. Should be pretty easy to fix the gene in a black bird--just need a lavender bird that is as similar to the breed as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: