1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions on breeding to have hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shiningfeather, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Ok, I have read and looked for the answer to this with no real answer that I can find.

I have EE hens that have been with several other types of roos and been mated by those roos. I now have them in a breeding pen with an EE roo. I know a breeding can last for up to 21 days.
    My question is...Will them being with one roo now make his breeding the most recent and over ride the others???

TIA

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I am a little confused by your question but I think you are asking if you put the rooster you want with the hens in now will his semen override the roosters before him and the answer is no. You have to wait a time before the chicks being produced are fathered by the current rooster. I am not sure how long the time frame is but I think it is a few weeks. Once the previous roosters semen is out of the hen and her eggs are no longer fertile then he is no longer able to reproduce with that hen unless you pair them up again. So I would not hatch anything from this per until the rooster you want to breed with the hens has been with them for a few weeks. I am sure someone will come in with the actual time frame and correct me if I have made a mistake.

3. Shiningfeather

Shiningfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    hill country texas
    Thank you for your answer, I was begining to think I was the only one on here today. [​IMG]

4. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Thank you for this thread!! I just spent an hour trying to figure out how long a hen would stay fertile after being exposed to a rooster. Silly me, I should of just posted here:rolleyes: I LOVE this forum!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by