1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions on Brower Top Hatch Bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Farmer Kitty, May 11, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I got a Brower Top Hatch Bator and have it up and running but, are they normally so noisy? Even my DH who is hard of hearing is wondering.

Also, I marked the eggs with x's on one side and 0's on the other but, it doesn't seem to be moving them at all. I put the eggs in at noon today and it is now almost 7:30 would it have turned them by now or how does it work? When I had it running to adjust temps ect. I did see it move.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 12, 2008
  2. zchickens

zchickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2008
    Yes they are noisy (I have one), but it does decrease a bit once it gets "worn in". Did you make sure that the top part's (big round plastic bowl)grove on the bottom is slid into the grove in the plastic arm on the base? It will not move the turner if it isn't.

Z

3. Shaffer

Shaffer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    Tamaqua, NE Pa
    You need to go to the brower site and maybe make some adjustment. I posted what I did last year but not using it this year yet. I had to grease it and mine didn't turn so my son had to do something to make it turn. Don't forget to buy the cover on EGGBID and on the site it will tell you to change to a GE light bulb I believe. HS

4. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:What cover?

5. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Yes we made sure they are together.

6. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    How many eggs do you have in one pie section? Not having enough will effect turning.
    Ours did eventually quiet down.

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    There are 5 eggs in a pie section except for one section that has 4. I'm going to monitor it closely today but, it maybe turning them.

Off to check Brower's web-site.

8. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I've been to EGGBID and I didn't see any cover. Does anyone else know anything about this? I comes with a clear lid so what more is there?

9. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    The cover they are talking about is a blanket that wraps around the gray bucket part. I used bubble wrap and duct tape though. It just stabilizes the temps a little. I'm not using anything this time, since winter is over and my Brower has been more stable without the bubble wrap this time.

Depending on the size of your eggs, the turner may not be moving them. I stared at mine one day, thinking they weren't moving, then saw one twitch. It's a very slow process.

10. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thankyou, wegotchickens. The temps are holding good but, if they give me fits then I will remember the bubble wrap and duck tape!

The eggs are large chicken eggs. I will be going in and watching them soon. I had seen it move before we set the eggs so I know it's slow. Does it just keep moving in the same direction? Or does it go one way so far and then move back the other way?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by