Questions on Cooling and Misting During Incubation

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Enchanted Sunrise Farms, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    This is my first time incubating goose eggs, and i'm actually having nightmares about it. i'm following Pete's instructions from the sticky at the top of this topic. They are in the incubator, a Hovabator Genesis, forced air, at 99.5, dry hatch, with humidity at about 20-30%. After a week, he recommends daily cooling and misting. That's where i'm unclear.

Do i cool first for the allotted time, then mist? Or do i mist first and let them cool? And when i do this, do i leave them in the incubator and just take the lid off and turn it off? Or do i take the eggs out and set them on a towel next to the incubator so i can leave the incubator on, holding the heat? i'm thinking, if i leave them in the incubator and turn it off for 5 minutes initially, then up to 15 minutes, it will cool down significantly then take a while to get back up to the proper heat setting.

One additional question, will be moving the eggs into a Hovabator still air incubator for hatching. How long do i leave them in there after hatching before moving them out to a brooder. i'm worried if they stand up, they'll hit their heads on the heat element at the top.

Thank you for any guidance provided. :)

2. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi - wait until you can also see that they're fertile and then start misting and cooling. I simply take them out and place on a towel, very light mist and leave to cool. I leave the incubator running so the eggs are soon warm again after being placed back in the incubator.

With goslings I leave them to rest and dry out before tansferring them to a brooder [​IMG]

3. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Thanks, Pete! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by