Questions on Cornish X?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SwedishDude99, Aug 31, 2014.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Hi all, I am part of the FFA organization at my highschool. For my SAE (supervised agricultural experience) project, I would like to raise 10 Cornish X meat birds. I want to sell two of them at the county fair and process the rest at home. My problem is, I don't want to raise them how they are raised in factories. I would like to allow them access to pasture and not have feed out for them 24/7. In doing this, I realize they will not reach a good butchering weight in eight weeks. To bring birds in to fair and sell them, they have to "make weight". So I guess my question is, when should I start raising these birds if I want them ready for butcher June 9th of next year and in general, how many weeks do you think they will take to reach that weight?

2. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Forgot to add: I would also like to raise them organically and without GMO's, so would anyone here be able to recommend a good feed to use in order to do that? I will be throwing organic vegetable scraps from the garden in their pen as well when they are not on pasture, and I realize that feeding them other things aside from the commercial feed will alter their growth rate. Do you think i can get this to work, or are there just too many factors that could effect the number of weeks until butcher?

3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Anyone?

4. Bladeguy

Bladeguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2014
    I wish I could help more, but I'm just shy of week 4 with my 52 bird flock. They weighed just shy of 2 lb.'s this morning. I've been using fermented feed and letting them range quite a bit. Right now they are about 20% behind where the charts say they should be. You could extrapolate that out and say it will take 10 weeks or so to reach 8 week weights, but that is merely a somewhat educated guess.

5. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Thanks Bladeguy! That's what I thought- between 10 and 12 weeks. Anyone else have a similar experience?

6. Bladeguy

Bladeguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2014
    Swedish...hopefully others might chime in. I have a thread I just started today that I plan to keep updated, so that may help you as I will give approximate weights for my birds as they grow. Remember, I'm using fermented feed, and not full free range, but they do get some freedom for a period of time most days. Not as much as they would like, for sure, as they hate getting rounded up to go back in their pen. :rant. This may be more challenging for us as they get bigger. Anyway, the thread is here if you want to follow it.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921678/cornish-cross-broilers-husbandry#post_14033898

7. phalenbeck

phalenbeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Canton, N.C.
    Just looked at my current batch at 9 weeks. They forage a few hours daily, and 10-12 weeks seems like butcher time. If they stay healthy then they can stay longer as I like a 5+ carcass. 10 weeks has often been it in the past, but batches have varied.

8. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Cornish crosses will gain weight really fast if you feed them properly. I had a few that almost were 10lbs! They do sell special food for them. Make sure that they don't live over 8 weeks or they will start to break bones. they are also really fragile, and they catch diseses fast. They will taste great though. If you give them a run, they will enjoy it for a few weeks, then they will lose interest and they will only want to eat.

9. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Thanks everyone for your help. What type of feed do you guys use for your birds?

10. chickenz500

chickenz500 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    You can just use game bird feed when they are older. You do need a certain amount of protein though. also when they are chicks you can use chick starter. They do make meat bird grower that I suggest that you use when they are older

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by