1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions on cost to build this coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Joshsgirl1, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, without knowing what your local re-store charges for these particular materials (and whether they have them on hand at this time - our local one rotates stuff in and out so quickly it's impossible to count on finding what we need there at a specific time so we jut get what we think we might use when we see it) we can't tell you what it's going to cost to build. It would be best to print off the page and go in and see what they have and what their prices are.

3. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    For sure the material cost can be a lot different---according to where you get it. I would suggest you think about what you want this coop to do. It would be a death trap in the heat of summer-----very hot unless you keep it shaded, Way to hot to roost in. Sure you can add a huge amount of ventilation and make it better. You might want to think about another design unless it stays cold where you are.

1 person likes this.
  4. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Idk that. This is my first coop...:( How can I best ventalate it? I live in NC, where it is hot, mostly..

5. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Thank you. I am wanting a coop with space but am on a budget. I am getting 4 hens.

6. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Also, their is a business near me where I can get free pallets.

7. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Free pallets are awesome. Only takes a hour to build a coop that will hold 15 hens for roosting only using 6 standard size pallets---40" x 48" and 2 pieces of tin 6ft long. Not pretty but they can be.
    Here is 2 of my many. I have less than $20(for the used tin) in both of the coops and $150 on the double chain link dog kennel I picked up used. It has step up roost poles I cut out the woods for free, but you could use a 2"x2" lumber if you wanted. The roost poles go from the one you can see at the door up towards the tin like steps. I have the grey cloth stapled on them for the winter---I tear them off for the summer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  8. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Great coops! What do you do for a roof, so no predators

9. Joshsgirl1

Joshsgirl1 Just Hatched

Jan 24, 2017
    Somewhere, NC.
    Can get in.

10. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    The top of the run has wire over it and I make sure their is no place a raccoon/possum can get through---like gaps around the doors etc. Even those round pens you can see have a netting across the top under the blue tarps, But I would have used wire instead of netting if I did not have a great Pyrenees patrolling the area all my pens are in.

This is my main like of pens she patrols too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by