Questions on double Yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aamanda, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Aamanda

Aamanda Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I have one of my hens that is consitantly laying a double yolker. So far the last dozen have been. Curious about it. She eats the same feed as the rest but I think it is one of my five month old hens. Any info?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How old is she? Pullets do this quite frequently before their systems get in gear to only release one yolk at a time. However laying double yolks can be hereditary as well. So if this is an adult bird, it may have been passed down to her from her momma.

I had a pullet that laid months worth of double yolkers before she starting laying single yolked eggs. She became my best layer however, and at nearly 3 years old, still lays almost 6 days a week.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  3. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Like I said. Im pretty sure its one of my five month old hens. A hatchery RIR. I just don't know which one. I only have 3 hens laying age so was surprised to start getting a fourth lol. I just have not caught her laying yet.

4. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Look for the one with the most developed red comb...that's my guess
    otherwise stalk the henhouse

5. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    I'm sure you're correct...its one of your reds...
    I
    Have a question about rir...I have 3 my dds got for me along with other kinds for mothers day last ye
    my question is what is the difference between hatchery rir and production reds?
    mine are deep red and very glossy plumage..how do I know what IV got...they were purchased at rural king?

6. tatertot

Aug 20, 2013
    Iv had a few double tillers...even one mondo egg with a huge yolk

7. Aamanda

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Prpoduction reds are a cross between two different types of chicken. They are great layers. Hatchery Reds are any RIR you buy from a hatchery. They are bred (Usually) from all RIR stock but are bred for egg production over Standard. They are never the mahogany color of the true RIR. However they lay more eggs. The birds on my you tube are hatchery RIR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by