questions on flooring options for the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WKYChick, May 21, 2011.

1. WKYChick

WKYChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    I have read through lots of posts about flooring but had a few questions and I am willing to be told no that wouldn't work because.....

I read people us a wire flooring then deep litter on top of that, I can't picture how that would work, does anyone use this type of flooring?

I am reusing materials that I find, I found in our shed 1 box of wood vinyl flooring, if I put wood base down and then cover it with this and maybe go up the sides a bit, would that work?

I also found left over ceramic tiles, would this work too? my husband is thinking to make the coop flush to the ground and build it on a base, would ceramic tile be too much?

My DH is also thinking if I raised the coop 2' off the ground and we just use wood pallet boards for the flooring there needs to be some spacing between each board, what are thoughts about that?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Any pictures of your flooring would be good too I am such a visual person, the ah-ha, doesn't hit me until I actually see it and I am sorry if this is a repeat topic!

2. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I covered the walls and floor of mine with linoleum and cut a hole the size of a bean can on one end and covered it with hardware cloth so I can wash it out. I put a cement mixing pan under the roost to catch the poop.
    [​IMG]

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've read of a lot of folks regretting making a coop raised but too low to the ground, because sooner or later you are likely to have to get under there to retrieve eggs, an injured chicken, etc., through chicken poop.

Vinyl over a plywood floor is a common way to build a coop. Eventually, though, you will probably have to replace the plywood due to water damage. You can also give a plywood floor a few good coats of paint and really achieve the same thing. If I were doing vinyl over plywood I believe I would not fasten it any more than I had to, so I could remove it easily. Any sort of tile usually lets water through the cracks and damages the plywood, besides being a hiding place for tiny critters (lice, mites, etc.) I guess you could try slats between the boards so poop would fall through, though it would also let mice in. And I think you're right about trying to put litter over wire; some of the litter will fall through and really defeats the purpose of the wire.

Another option is a dirt floor coop, as in what was probably the original deep litter method, and is my personal preference. Although many on here want to be able to clean the floor regularly and would not like this.

If you build it so there is a small space under the floor, like a few inches, you are creating a great rat habitat.

There's no perfect method, I don't think. You'll figure out what is the best fir for you.

4. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    thank you both for responding, that helps getting opinions and other things to be reminded of that never cross your mind.

fishin-nole: I really like the inside of your coop, very nice! I like the way you use the linoleum and to be able wash it out like that, very nice [​IMG]

ddawn: thank you, you brought up points I wouldn't have thought about, it is one where another person stepping in and saying hey this is what could happen if... cause I didn't even think about lice/mites etc and moisture, yikes!

That is one thing I don't want to create is hiding places for the little critters.

hmmm, lots more planning to do, going to pick up lumber today [​IMG]

5. wwalding

wwalding Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Dothan,Alabama
    i just painted my floor. as long as you keep it covered with wood chips and change it often you will not have a problem.. check out my chicken fortress...:) also make sure you get some de... to spred on the chips at least once a week... it will dry up the poop. to keep it from rotting...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=445794

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    wwalding: wow, that is Chicken Fort Knox! I think that is what I am going to do, is paint the floor and use litter, tho I really like the linoleum others use and thank you I need to put DE on my list to buy:)

we are going after some pallets to use, it is a business down the road from us, so excited!

7. wwalding

wwalding Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    Dothan,Alabama
    Quote:thanks!!!! this is what ya have to do when funds are low...:) my hens are eating my dogs dog food as i speak...better go put the food away...LoL

8. bartchick

bartchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    I put vinyl remnants (cheap to buy) over a plywood floor and up the walls about 6 ". Stapled to wall & floor sparingly, all seams duct-taped. I soon found the chickens pecking and eating the exposed vinyl edges, so had to put wood slats to cover edges on walls. This works great and is easy to clean. We go deep litter (dirt, sawdust and straw) in winter, real shallow in warmer weather. We use food-grade DE in food, dust bath area and small amounts in bedding and litter areas. On the raised floor coops (ours is raised). We simply installed hardware cloth (1/2" squares) from walls and buried about 10 inches to discourage digging vermin and to prevent chicks and larger pests from getting in there. Works well so far.

9. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, After researching alot on BYC I chose a raised coop design, about 12'' inches off the ground to the bottom of my treated floor joists. Closed in the open perimeter so no hens or preditors could get under, covered joists with 1'' tongue and groove OSB and then a remnant of sheet vinly flooring. That is covered with about 4"to5" of pine shavings. Works great for me. Spread it around with a rake every few days and even it out from where they have scratched into piles. Will clean out when necessary and add to compost pile for future use in garden.
    Hope this helps.
    Erik

10. WKYChick

May 10, 2011
    thank you all for responding, I am writing down everyone's advice and looking into our options, checking off what we don't want to do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by