1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions on gold, silver, and cream

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by turtleblossom, Feb 8, 2009.

1. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Ok, so what I understand about the gold and silver genes is pretty limited, and I need some info on how to create the color cream (as in cream spangled). I know that a hen can have one gene (or is it copy?) for gold/silver. They are either just silver or just gold. But the rooster has two genes that can be either silver, gold, or one of each.

hen = s+/- is gold
    S-/- is silver

roo = s+/s+ is gold
    S/S is silver
    S/s+ is cream

I have a cream spangled EE roo (sl Seabright hen X partrige EE roo) that I am breeding to two silver laced Wyandotte hens. I know that when I breed them I will get silver, gold, and black hens; and the cockrels will be silver, cream, and black. (of course, breeding EE's always gives you suprises)
    How do I get cream hens?
    I thoght about adding some Cream Brabanters, but I only want to buy hens, and they are pretty rare (despite the fact that you can get them from some major hatcheries). Why waste rare breed hens on a EE project!

2. turtleblossom

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    Know one has any info?

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I know nothing, but I'm bumping you up. Someone will come along.

4. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    Next to het silver S/s+ you get the same effect on pure gold s+/s+ with additional cream (inhibitor of gold) gene ig/ig. This "gene" is recessive and not sexlinked. Gold hens s+/- plus ig/ig are also cream in groundcolor.

I understand the cream gene ig is pretty rare in the US.
    The dilute gene Di is dominant and has a similar effect.
    It is said to be in a lot of buff breeds, especially in the creamier kinds.

Then you could work with lavender but that would change the black parts too.

5. turtleblossom

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    So if I breed my cream spangeled EE to a lavender hen, I might get cream hens?

6. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    No. All I want to say is that in a bird with 2 copies of lavender the buff parts will also be diluted to a cream tint.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by