Questions on Hatching Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fernandez0067, Apr 12, 2009.

1. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    On Sunday March 22 I grabbed 4 eggs freshly laid out from under one of my hens. I have a still air incubator that I borrowed from a friend with a digital thermometer that also measures humidity already set up for a couple of hours. I marked the eggs and placed them in the incubator that day. They were still warm from my hen. The temperature fluctuated a little that first day but I kept it at a steady 100 - 101 degrees with the humidity @ 40-50%. I candled the eggs a bunch of times and they were all definitely fertile. I saw the veins start to grow, air sac, etc. I turned the eggs 3 times a day up until day 18. I candled them again on day 18 and I saw 1 definitely moving and the other three were too dark to see anything. I read on a forum to crank the humidity up to about 80% for the last couple days. I did that, it is @ 77% right now. Was that the right thing to do? It is now day 22 and nothing has happened! How long should I wait ... do you guys think they're goners?

2. bradybrady09

bradybrady09 BANNED

Mar 19, 2009
    Vermont
    Its really hard to say i had chicks hatch on friday which was day 21 and today is day 23 and one just pipped about 20 minutes ago i usually keep my eggs in untill day 25 just to be sure there is no late bloomers "Sending Hatching vibes your way"

3. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Thats a relief to hear... thanks for the vibes!

4. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    yeah i would wait. you should count the day after you set them as day 1. hope everything turns out okay!

5. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Thanks for the info.

Still nothign has happened, if I count the day after I set them as day 1 then this would be day 22. I dont think Im going to have any luck with these babies but I just ordered 12+ from someone on the BST. So as soon as I get those Im gonna try agaiN! I WILL hatch chicks someday!

6. ChickyLaura

ChickyLaura The Crazy Chicken Lady

Mar 31, 2009
    Eastern/Central PA
    I would still wait for a few days, though!

I am getting to set my FIRST eggs today or tomorrow (as soon as they get here - I ordered from Sassy Silkies!!!)

Good luck on your current hatch, and on your new ones you ordered![​IMG]

ChickyLaura

7. fernandez0067

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    Thanks u too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by