1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Questions on incubating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jakrzz, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Jakrzz

Jakrzz Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2012
    Okay so I got a new rooster after I discovered the other one I borrowed was six years old and no longer 'interested' and he is wonderful! Today I got 6/8 eggs that were fertile! Anticipating this, I made a styrofoam incubator, because I know for a fact none of my hens would sit.
    It's got a 40 watt lightbulb, a small fan for circulation, a dish with water and a sponge for humidity, and enough room for a dozen fertile eggs!
    Few questions:
    1.) I just turned it on, with no eggs in it, planning to run it a day or two before I put the eggs in, how long will it take to get to the right temp and humidity?
    2.) I plan on collecting the dozen fertile eggs from a few select hens, so that's idk.. About 4,5, maybe 6 eggs.. So how do I store the soon to be hatching eggs before incubation? Turning? Etc
    Thank you!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Well thank you for the thread!
    But uhh it's been running for about an hour and I just went down to check the temp out of curiosity and it was 115• :eek:
    So I took off the lid and everything hardly felt warm. It's only a 40 watt bulb, and the thermometer is where the eggs would be.. Any ideas? Is this just the incubator regulating?

4. naightengale

naightengale Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2013
    Rocky Mount VA.
    My Coop
    try a 25w bulb

5. Jakrzz

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah tried that too... Also tried a 50w red light.. Nothing. But this morning I tried a 25w reptile light and it seems to be stabilized at about 99-100, every now and then it says 102 but I poked decent sized holes and now it's back!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by