Questions on incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by karen71, Dec 29, 2009.

1. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Ok so I hatched chicks under a broody - now I feel the need to try with an incubator .

I am unsure if I need to have the circulated air or if the still air will work just as well ?

I plan on keeping it in the house so I do not forsee any drastic temp changes .

I was planning on the cheapy Hovabator at this time - if all goes well and I don't pull my hair out I may upgrade - DH is being stingy - he does not know why I need to hatch [​IMG]

Any suggestions willbe appreciated - I have read so may different things my head is spinning [​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You can hatch in a still air incubator. If money is tight an you are hatching your on eggs go for it. In a stable room they are fine. But most people would never go back to a still air after useing a forced air model. Here is my thoughts on them.
    http://cmfarm.us/stillair.html

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Personally, I didn't like the still air. Even in a stable room temp in my house, the temps fluctuated way too much for my liking and they are super touchy. I highly recommend a bator with a fan (a 1583 or 1588 hova for example). You'll save about $40 on the turner if you plan to hand turn.

4. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Thanks all
    I will look for an incubator with fan .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by