1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

questions on my first chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChiefZero, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ChiefZero

ChiefZero Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Ok I got a new chick and I will post it on the forum as soon as I can tomorrow to find out what type of bantam it is.
    My questions are:
    I got food made for chicks but do I need grit?
    I can only get the temp up to 85 ish, is this safe it is 3 days old? How often do I start lowering the temp?
    Should I feed the food with it soaked in whater or no?
    There is only 1 so should I put something, cloth or stuffed animal, with it?

thanks
    ChiefZero

P.S. I probably have more questions but I'll ask when I remembers.

2. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

Congrats on the new baby!
    your chick will not need grit for the chick starter.
    The temp should be higher. Do you have an infrared 250 watt bulb? This is the type I am using and I have no problem getting the temp up to 95, etc.
    You will lower the temp by 5 degrees each week until they feather out and are ready for outside (about 4 wks).
    Don't soak the food in water. This will encourage bacteria, fungi, etc. to grow and may just make you baby sick.
    As far as having only one....I would def. get a buddy for your baby. At least one other chick would make it happier. If this is impossible, then I have heard other people suggest a feather duster or a mirror.

Good luck!

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:The temp really needs to be around 95 for the first week, then you can lower it by 5 degrees every week until the chick is fully feathered.
    Chick starter/grower food is just right, doesn't need soaking. No grit needed, just be sure s/he is only eating the chick food though. People have said to put a mirror and a feather duster in for solitary chicks to have "company" with. Can you get one or two more to go with this one? Best wishes! [​IMG]

4. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    I do not think I can get another. Will try to get another light to warm it up.
    thanks

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Why do you have one lonely little chick? I would get 1 or 2 more.

Red 250 watt heat lamp is best in my opinion. My ten never fought or picked on each other and I think the red light allows them to sleep better.

Good luck. Be sure to attach pics.

6. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    OK I got the temp up to 95 but the light is a bit closer. Do I need to worry about it over heating, I mean I am sure that on the other side of the box is cooler, so do i need to worry about not mving and getting burned like a lizard does on a heat rock?
    It can also touch the light, should I worry?

Also how long is chick starter food good for, how old must it be to change to older food?

I can't get another chick but I started with 3 eggs and the others didnt develop, It was freezing temps when I got them so I suspect that the cold may have did something to the eggs.

thanks
    ChiefZero

P.S. next post will have a pic

7. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    here he is

I think it is a boy due to bumps near were its spurs( Claw on back of leg, don't know if thats what it is called).

I know it is a bantam but can anyone tell me yet what type it is(if bantam isn't).

8. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Keep on starter/grower up until 18-20 weeks of age.

9. ChiefZero

Jun 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

10. sunnibunny99

sunnibunny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    East Texas! :)
    ADORABLE!

[​IMG]

i dont know what kind he is, sorry [​IMG]

but i think (if at all possible) he needs a friend!

unless you spend alot of time with him he'll be so lonely! imagine if you were the only person in the world, how would you feel?

just my thoughts, but i have 14 chicky's so no loneliness there...

he looks exactly like my chick, Samantha, who is 1 1/2 months old [​IMG]

she has NO feathers [​IMG]

But hes ADORABLE!! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by