Questions on new coop building materials

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Navyvet1204, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Navyvet1204

Navyvet1204 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower Alabama
    brand new here and have some questions in regards to building my first coop. I refuse to buy a pre-fab coop so I will utilize as much resources for free that I can. With that said, I have access to pretty much as many wooden pallets as I want from my job. Is it possible to build a coop on nothing but pallets or pallet boards? Chicken wire I know will be an expense of course.

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    There have been a number of people who've built pallet coops, either by using the pallets to create an underlying frame and then walling over them, or by taking the wood apart and using the pieces as building material.

Chicken wire isn't predator proof, I wouldn't use any of it in my chicken coop. It's fine for fencing chickens OUT of things, such as your garden.

3. Notaneggspurt

Notaneggspurt Songster

May 17, 2016
    TN
    My Coop
    Hi and :welcome
    There's a good many pallet coop builds. Might be able to do a search within the site for "pallet coop". Just a minor point of not getting chicken wire and hardware cloth confused. Chicken wire is pretty much only useful for keeping chickens contained and craft projects. Hardware cloth is well worth the investment. If you search predator protection it will give you some good ideas on how best to utilize it. Lots of folks will be able to give insights on local predator issues.

Also take into consideration our wonderful weather ;) I'm a good ways north of you and the hot muggy summer and fall have been the biggest challenges next to the dogs people let run loose.

How many fluffy butts are you looking to start with?

DobieLover and Navyvet1204 like this.
  4. FlappyFeathers

FlappyFeathers Crossing the Road

Feb 5, 2018
    Northwest Oregon
    My Coop
    Smart move to ditch the prefabs. Using free materials is always a good thing! I just came across this nice looking coop the other day made from pallets and it shows the whole building process:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cozy-rustic-pallet-coop.74648/

Here's a narrowed search for other coops using pallets or recycled materials:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/search/50137666/?q=pallet&t=ams_article&o=date&c[title_only]=1

I agree with everyone about using hardware cloth for the most secure run and coop you can get. The best price I've found is on Amazon. I got by using a 36"x50' roll plus one 10' roll to fill in some extra spaces for both my runs and coop windows. Just try to plan your framing so seams are at regular 12" intervals or whatever width HWC you get to avoid waste.

5. Piatt

Piatt In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019

Attached Files:

Notaneggspurt likes this.
  6. Piatt

Piatt In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    I used guard rail post from my construction job that were free.

DobieLover and Notaneggspurt like this.
  7. Navyvet1204

Navyvet1204 In the Brooder

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower Alabama
    Looking to have to hens and a rooster

DobieLover and Notaneggspurt like this.
  8. A_Fowl_Guy

A_Fowl_Guy Wildlife Biologist

May 4, 2014
    Newberry, Indiana
    I built a pallet coop some years ago and it’s still standing. I used the pallets for the base and built walls.

Notaneggspurt likes this.
  9. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    Check Amazon and walmart.com for 1/2" hardware cloth. It's usually cheaper than big box stores, yet still pricey.

aart and A_Fowl_Guy like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: